Archiological Pen Idea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BassBlaster

I have a request from a customer to make a pen for an archiological major as a graduation present. He suggested BOW for the historical significance but to me theres more of a religious significance than historical with BOW. I would like to suggest something else but what? He did ask for other ideas if I had any. Mammoth ivory immediately came to mind but I'm not even close to being confident enough in my skill to attempt a $100+ blank, not yet. Ive seen fossilized whale bone but havnt saw a finished pen with it so I'm not sure what one would look like. Anyone have any ideas? He is leaning toward a Sierra style pen if that matters.

Oh, and I'm fairly certain I spelled archiological wrong!!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Ancient kuari from New Zealand which is reported to be the world's oldest wood.

Irish bog oak.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I have a request from a customer to make a pen for an archiological major as a graduation present. He suggested BOW for the historical significance but to me theres more of a religious significance than historical with BOW. I would like to suggest something else but what? He did ask for other ideas if I had any. Mammoth ivory immediately came to mind but I'm not even close to being confident enough in my skill to attempt a $100+ blank, not yet. Ive seen fossilized whale bone but havnt saw a finished pen with it so I'm not sure what one would look like. Anyone have any ideas? He is leaning toward a Sierra style pen if that matters.

StephenM

Bog Oak from Ireland and England or Ancient Kauri from New Zealand. Maybe even a segmented pen from the two as they complement each other very well.

BassBlaster

All the Kauri that I have seen available is pretty plain but it does have the historic value so I did pass that along to him. I never thought about segmenting it. That might make Kauri interesting!!

Any other suggestions? I'm open to all ideas.

Rick P

I have a bunch of antler from a Native Alaskan bone yard, archeology is about people not animals....that would be paleontology. Anyhow its at least 50 years old and much of it is partially mineralize. They have been fishing the same camp since before the oral history started, so several thousand years? I have Mammoth bone and Ivory too but it sounds like the antler would be more his thing and it trns like a new shed.

I can give you a link too show your client if you would like and I will certify the antler.

BassBlaster

Oh okay, I thought archioligy was about digging up anything old. Shows what I know. Guess I'll just stick to turning pens, lol.

I'm interested in seeing what you have even if this customer isnt. Do you have a website?

Kaspar

My experience is that first you need the bling, then things like "50K-year-old-plus workable wood" is the cherry on top. I haven't seen any ancient Kauri that had even halfway decent figuring. Mammoth ivory is tricky and there's no guarantee it won't crack on you.

I have a friend who is close to her doctorate in Biblical languages, and she's done some archaeology on the side. I did some pens in faux Amber that she just loves. She also loves the turquoise tru-stone pen I did for her. 'Bout all I can think of.

1080Wayne

The summer before last I took part in a palaeontological dig of a dinosaur bone bed . The very first thing the lady supervising it showed me were some small round rocks . She identified them as fossilized alligator poo - about 65 million years old if I remember correctly . At that point I decided that I had an appropriate gift for her , which I and my cohorts presented her with at the end of a very enjoyable two days . The proviso , of course , was that she had to identify it , or she couldn`t have it . She failed miserably , but we gave it to her anyway . It was just a cow pie Sierra .

Archaeologists also dig up the stuff , frequently human , in caves , and analyze it in detail to determine the historical diet .

PR_Princess

Do you know what branch of archaeology? That might help a bit.

But the ancient animal bones, bog woods or other storied woods are all excellent ideas!

You could even have some art work lasered...Say on Ricks old bones (sorry Rick)...Old cave paintings scenes, an ancient city scape, maps...Just something to "customize" it.

Or IF you wanted to focus on a human element, what about an old coin (Roman are pretty available) and have Seamus cast it for you? Or maybe an old arrowhead?

I could go nuts...What a fun project!

Rick P

LOL no worries Dawn.....that is actually one of the more "fit for general viewing" comments I have gotten since starting my biz!

And I do have old bones......

randyrls

All the Kauri that I have seen available is pretty plain but it does have the historic value so I did pass that along to him. I never thought about segmenting it. That might make Kauri interesting!!

Any other suggestions? I'm open to all ideas.

The segmenting idea is a good one. Kauri is about 50,000 years old, so make the segments to "date" important events in history.

Birth of cave painting
Egyptian pyramids
Birth of Christ
etc, you get the idea.

Haynie

In order to fit the pen to the field you will need to know their discipline. Archaeology can span from the dawn of man (Paleo-archeology) to William Rathje's study of modern man (garbology) Seeing as how they said history/archaeology I would assume American History and maybe some sort of cast colonial artifact thingy. Really still need more direct subject to work with.

K-9 Man

Attached are some photos of fossilized whale bone I made when I was in Alaska. I really like the pen, it has some wieght to it and looks good. The pictures don't do it justice.

Ernie

Attachments

• DSCN8164.jpg
    DSCN8164.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN8165.jpg
    DSCN8165.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 100

Randy Simmons

Exoticblanks.com sells fossilized whale rib bone. It's not too expensive and has much more character than kauri or bog oak.

Randy

BassBlaster

Wow, this thread kinda took off today. Thanks for all the helpful ideas. I may use some of these down the road even if this customer dosnt like them. I'm gonna run all these by him and also try and get some more info from him. Thanks again everyone!!!

Top Bottom