Apprentice 812 VS mini lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cpmech425

Anyone have the Apprentice mini lathe from Craft Supply? I am looking at it as a second pen lathe. My 10 year old son is showing interest in pen turning so I am gonna need another lathe. I also am gonna have my 1940 Ames lathe down for awhile as I have repair the Worthing all speed selector.(hope to find parts). I was looking at Harbor Freight lathes but the warranty is only 90 days. For the same money I can get variable speed and 5 year 100% satisfaction Guarantee. Anyone have any info to share. Thanks Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RedBeard

I have the smaller lather from HF and from looking at the two lathes they look to be identical except for color and badging. I've been using it for about a year now and I cannot complain one bit about it. With the ever present HF coupon I bought that lather for right around $100.

stonepecker

HF does have an extended warrenty you can purchase.......I wouldn't.

Another thought is you look at upgrading for yourself and hand the Apprentice over to the son.
Very good reason to upgrade and you will always be a hero. Train him right Dad.

chartle

I have the smaller lather from HF and from looking at the two lathes they look to be identical except for color and badging. I've been using it for about a year now and I cannot complain one bit about it. With the ever present HF coupon I bought that lather for right around $100.

Same here so far I've added a 60 degree live and dead center for TBC, a drill chuck and a PSI 4 jaw chuck.

I've even started to drill blanks with it. I'm adding a crank handle to make drilling blanks quicker.

Last edited:
Top Bottom