Apologies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from D.Oliver

D.Oliver

Heres the story on this one: A while back I came across a young man that was pouring his own blanks. He put his blood, sweat and tears into but his blanks just weren't all that good. The colors were drab. The blanks didn't show any imagination and were just boring in general. I could see how hard he worked at it though and could tell he was getting discouraged by the results. On top of that his neighbor, Mr. Rooney, also poured blanks and was getting great results. I felt bad for the young man and ordered some blanks from him (my way of saying "hang in there, it'll get better). Well the young man was so appreciative of my order (I think I might be the only one who's ever ordered from him) he sent me a free blank. Normally I would have just thrown something like this away, but to encourage him to stick with it, I went ahead and turned it. Below is the resuts. I was hoping some of you could send some any compliments and encouragement to the young man, maybe even order a blank from him. His name is......It's right on the tip of my tongue. It starts with a "J"........Joe..........Jim..........Jon. That's it! Jonathon Brooks is his name! I don't know if he'll ever get the hang of this casting thing but a little encouragement never hurt. As for the title....I'm sorry for any accidents involving moniters, keyboards, coffee, or Old Wellers (though it might be a little early in the morning for that).

Pen 024.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nsfr1206

Poor guy. Let me be the first to offer condolences to you for haveing to turn that thing. If you have any more blanks from that fellow just drop em in the mail and let me deal with them.

MarkD

My words of wisdom ...stick with it Johnathon. That's a fine looking blank. Listen to the advice people on IAP give you and results "should" improve through the years. To see if your work is improving you should send me a box of your blanks every month ( I'll pay the shipping ). I'll make a few pens and post the pictures here so that everyone can see your progress!

seamus7227

LMAO!!! Priceless!! Yeah, what should be encouraging to other newbies out there is the fact that we all had to start somewhere and the fact that we never gave up is part of the reason we made it this far!

hewunch

Looks great. And if you really want to see some of Jonathon's early stuff just stop by my place. I really have some of those blanks from the beginning that show how much he has improved over when he began.

Last edited:

Parson

Easy on the encouragement now folks. A little goes a long way. Too much and Jonathon will get a big ego.

I think we're too late. I remember when he was just another resin pouring IAP member without the coolest blanks available.

Oh there I go again. No wonder Jonathan's getting a big head. I can't stop saying enough good things about his skills.

Brooks803

LOL! Thanks Derek...I needed that :tongue: Pen looks great btw!

I wouldn't know what to do with an ego if I found one :wink::tongue::biggrin:

Looks great. And if you really want to see some of Jonathon's early stuff just stop by my place. I really have some of those blanks from the beginning that show how much he has improved over when he began.

Oh yea! I forgot about those...those are way back from my castin craft days. They'd probably explode worse than inlace now :eek: Actually one of them is really cool, has the primary colors in it. It was one of my very first casts. Dang, that was about 2 1/2yrs ago!

I as well have some of those early blanks. I wonder if he takes trade ins?

LOL...I'd have to check my latest issue of PR Blue Book Value Guide for the latest trade in values :tongue:

D.Oliver

LOL! Thanks Derek...I needed that :tongue: Pen looks great btw!

Thanks Jonathon, but you did all the hard work. Truth be told, I had screwed up my previous two pens, so I needed a "win". I went to stash of blanks and pulled this one out hoping that your "midas touch" hadn't worn off it yet and sure enough it practically turned itself!

bitshird

I dunno he seems to have developed some small degree of talent of late,:wink::wink: I'm not sure it makes up for some of the early stuff though:biggrin::biggrin: if he doesn't loose heart, he'll get the proper hang of it though.

D.Oliver

I was re-reading this thread and realized some of you may not have taken this as it was meant. This was just meant to be a good natured ribbing of Jonathon in response to his "I think I'm starting to get an ego" thread. When I typed " a while ago" I should have typed "last month" so that everyone knew I was being sarcastic when I said they were "drab, lacked imagination and were boring". I just wanted to clear this up so nobody thought I was serious and being critical of his early work.

Brooks803

I was re-reading this thread and realized some of you may not have taken this as it was meant. This was just meant to be a good natured ribbing of Jonathon in response to his "I think I'm starting to get an ego" thread. When I typed " a while ago" I should have typed "last month" so that everyone knew I was being sarcastic when I said they were "drab, lacked imagination and were boring". I just wanted to clear this up so nobody thought I was serious and being critical of his early work.

WHAT??? You were only kidding! Um...when you get a box in the mail in the next few days, just throw it in the trash. Don't open it. It might smell a bit by then too :eek::devil::rolleyes::wink::tongue::cool::biggrin:

Seriously though, I knew what you meant when I first read it. I got a good laugh and I'm sure others did too. Nothing to worry about Derek. I appreciate your efforts :highfive:

Top Bottom