Apologies ......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bobleibo

bobleibo

A couple of apologies are in order for my procrastination…

First to Roy (Oklahoman)…quite awhile ago he and I exchanged a few items. I was very fortunate to be on the receiving end of a genuine Huanghuali pen blank with a COA included. I knew I had something very special and wanted to save it for the perfect project so I hid it away. Let's just say that I excel at hiding things….I forgot where it was for a very long time.
.. Huanghuali

Second is to Mike (mredburn)..at last year's Birthday Bash (2013) I was the lucky winner of Mike's Sterling Silver custom pen components. As you can see, the IAP logo and the year 2013 are engraved in the cap. The finials are also from the Huanghuali blank.Certainly this deserved a very special blank. Suddenly the light went on and I thought about the blank from Roy. Problem was that I did such a great job hiding it I could not find it - until recently.

Finally, here is the end result of the two coming together. My thought was that the sterling silver components were basically still a raw product that had been formed into what you see, thus I wanted to keep the Haunghuali blank much the same. Absolutely no finish products were used on this blank. I just could not see myself covering it with CA or anything else. After turning the blank, I sanded it with 500 grit Abranet then spent about 2 hours doing nothing other than burnishing it with sawdust in my bare hand.

I hope you like it.

Bob
p.s.
The little speck you see under the tail is not a defect, it's what I was stuck using to keep it from rolling.

Attachments

• IAP 2013.jpg
    IAP 2013.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 431
  • Lei-114.jpg
    Lei-114.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
No apology needed on my end. The pen looks great. I wondered what happened to that kit.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Bob:

Thank you for the background! Awesome pen... but made even more special with the story!

The pen is really great! Be proud.

Mark

OKLAHOMAN

As Mike said no apology needed, as a matter of fact what you mated with the lost Huanghuali blank is perfect.

Top Bottom