Apollo pen gets a clip!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

Hey Guys,

I know some of you are making Apollo pens from Bullseye... do you ever wish it had a clip? I do, or I should say, I did! This morning I experimented with adding a clip to the Apollo. Besides the clip, it also required making a set screw M8x0.75 and a finial. This one happens to have a hole in it. I could plug it maybe, by making a longer set screw, and sanding it flush with the finial. What do you guys think?

IMG_6523a.jpg
IMG_6524a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

On Facebook Marc Werner suggested just using a tenon and pressing it in. Seems to me that would work also!

Here's the Facebook group... I'm sure Kate would love to have you!

Mike...

KenB259

On Facebook Marc Werner suggested just using a tenon and pressing it in. Seems to me that would work also!

Here's the Facebook group... I'm sure Kate would love to have you!

Mike...
I Believe I'm already a member there, but I rarely use facebook

InkyMike

That look great! One thought - could you have made the finial w/o the hole in the top and then just screwed it on top of the set screw? I think given the current finial I would, as you mentioned, make a longer set screw and sand flush. I think once it's polished up the black set screw sanded flush would look good with the blue.

mikeschn

Hey @InkyMike

Hindsight is always 20/20. I was not planning on making a finial out of that blue blank. So Kate's instructions say to cut the blank for the cap to 2.5" long (I cheat, I cut it to 2.625"). Then I drilled a hole all the way through for the M8 set screw... Then Kate said, cut your cap down to 2.25" long. So I did, and let the scraps fly where they will.

A short while later I said, I need a finial. Hey wait, where did that 3/8" piece of scrap fly to? I found it, and it became my finial.

Next time I won't drill the hole all the way through! Haha!

Mike...

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Excellent modifications. I have two Apollo kits waiting for some shop time, but looking at the instructions am wondering why this was designed so complicated. I get the steps and they are manageable, but I have made closed end pens before, and this seems a bit overkill. Maybe I'll understand better after I get around to turning it.

InkyMike

Hey @InkyMike

Hindsight is always 20/20. I was not planning on making a finial out of that blue blank. So Kate's instructions say to cut the blank for the cap to 2.5" long (I cheat, I cut it to 2.625"). Then I drilled a hole all the way through for the M8 set screw... Then Kate said, cut your cap down to 2.25" long. So I did, and let the scraps fly where they will.

A short while later I said, I need a finial. Hey wait, where did that 3/8" piece of scrap fly to? I found it, and it became my finial.

Next time I won't drill the hole all the way through! Haha!

Mike...
AH - gotcha. Like @mark james I have one of these ready to turn - I just haven't got to it yet. Sounds like there is a step or two that could be consolidated if one wants to go this route. I do think the black will look good sanded flush and polished - or - you could even put a slight dome on it

mikeschn

Why not thread a finial tenon from blank leftovers or other attractive blank & eliminate the setscrew?

What you've done is attractive in itself. :)
Well, the setscrew was turned from alumilite, but it could have been turned from anything in the garbage can. And yes, whatever it takes to make the pen pretty... especially if it pokes through the finial!

mikeschn

AH - gotcha. Like @mark james I have one of these ready to turn - I just haven't got to it yet. Sounds like there is a step or two that could be consolidated if one wants to go this route. I do think the black will look good sanded flush and polished - or - you could even put a slight dome on it
I like sanding my 10 degree finials on the bench sander... quick and easy, so your idea of a dome would become a 10 degree finial! Haha!

IMG_6525a.jpg

KateHarrow

Excellent modifications. I have two Apollo kits waiting for some shop time, but looking at the instructions am wondering why this was designed so complicated. I get the steps and they are manageable, but I have made closed end pens before, and this seems a bit overkill. Maybe I'll understand better after I get around to turning it.
Happy to explain if you ever want to get into it lol

InkyMike

Hey @InkyMike

My first pens were squared off, kinda like this. I like the 10 degree finials better.

P.S. You should add a few photos to your website so I can see what you are making! ;)

View attachment 352337
I like the look of that, but I can also see how the 10 degree would look great as well.

As for my website - yeah - I have great aspirations to get that done at some point. I have a bunch posted in the "Show off your pens" forum, and also on my FB page: https://www.facebook.com/MJBPens

mikeschn

I like the look of that, but I can also see how the 10 degree would look great as well.

As for my website - yeah - I have great aspirations to get that done at some point. I have a bunch posted in the "Show off your pens" forum, and also on my FB page: https://www.facebook.com/MJBPens
Hey @InkyMike

I made a pen with squared off ends today... I see your point! The squared off ends look good too! ha!

IMG_6535a.jpg

IMG_6534a.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom