Anyone using the HF 34706 lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

In the years past, this has been a decent machine. Is it still? I have a Delta Midi that I am going to keep for my pens, but occasionally (and only occasionally) I need to make a bowl for someone.

Has this been good for you? Turning bowls with it?

Thanks!

Matt

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34706

34706.gif

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

It is a fair production spindle lathe -- and you get what you pay for. Do not own one, but have taken a good look at them in the HF place.

Delta midi will make a fair bowl, but if you need bigger, have you thought about building a bowl lathe --

randbcrafts

That's what I am using. I've had it for the last 4-5 years and use it almost every day. Use it for mostly pens, but have done a couple bowls, rolling pins, and other misc stuff. No problems other than replacing a worn out belt once about a year ago. I'm sure there are some things that could be improved on it but I personally think it was a great bargain.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
This is one of the very few "diamonds in the rough" at HF...I own that one, bought on the recommendation of many others at another woodworkgin forum...

It's identical (and I mean identical) to the Jet model JWL-1236 lathe...made in the same factory, I'd presume...

But if the green paint dissuades you, you can always pay three times as much and get the Jet...but I can guarantee the HF model is exactly the same!

I love mine!

Andrew

Art Fuldodger

I have the Grizzly version that is identical, the G5979. It's basic, but works well enough.

The big question in the price range is that vs. a Jet Mini. Either is a good choice, and the Jet has better fit and finish. This, however, has the size.

I find the slow speed to be more than adequately slow, even if you're starting on a square piece. I've done up to 10" diameter pieces on it, and things worked out well.

Fit and finish isn't what you'd ge on a much more expensive lathe, but I can deal with that. Some folks are picky, and can't.

redfishsc

The big question in the price range is that vs. a Jet Mini. Either is a good choice, and the Jet has better fit and finish. This, however, has the size.

Big time true about the fit and finish of the Jet. I already have a Delta Midi, I just may buy something bigger (to have alongside the Delta) as a lathe for making medium sized bowls.

I would up referring my customer to a friend of mine who could make the bowls (church collection plates) quicker than I would be able to, turned out to be a great deal for all involved.

TowMater

I have one and use it alongside my jet mini. I walked out of HF with mine for $140.00 after sale + coupon.

All things considered I think it's an excellent starting point lathe. One of these days I'd love to have one of the big boy lathes but that wil have to wait a year or two.

If I were starting over again, I'd buy it again.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The HF34706 was my first lathe. It was fine to learn on by I quickly outgrew it. It would be fine for spindle work, pens, or small bowls. For me, it did not have the power to do larger bowls and hollow forms. It was pretty easy to bog down on larger diameter stuff.

That said, for the price it is not too bad. I used it for a year and then decided I really was going to stick with turning so I bought a Nova DVR. Of course the difference is night and day but then so is the price!

Top Bottom