Anyone turned Catalpa?Its a soft wod?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello, I just milled up a okay size (24")Catalpa log and was wondering if anyone has worked this wood before?Post some pics(I will do a search after this post)or just some thoughts on the wood.I know it is carved due to it being a softer wood.Thanks everyone,Victor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don Wade

Catalpa is intresting to work with. It is stringy and has a strong grain. It stinks. It has deep inclusions and is really pretty to fill due to this. It is soft buy you have to clear bits if drilling.

I have turned it often due to availability in E Texas and on my farm.

JohnU

I turned some very nice catalpa burl. It was very easy to turn and sand but my pieces were very dry and I had to keep hitting it with thin CA.

low_48

Catalpa can exhibit some really nice chatoyancy. The light can bounce around as you rotate the wood. I have some curly catalpa that just knocks your socks off. My favorite method for adding color in my bowls and vessels is to paint the piece with acrylic paint, then fully sand it again. The paint stays in the pores. See the red and black piece on the right side of the postcard.

Attachments

• Small _55T9807.jpg
    Small _55T9807.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 179
Yes that is the word I was thinking of(chatoyancy).

I turned a small 1" sq. angle cut piece just to see what it would look like and it shimmers in the light.I turned a small bowl(very quickly) and it seemed that it would turn better dry then wet due to the softness of the wood?What do you think of that?I love the painted/snaded piece I will try that soon.Thanks for the pic,Victor

Catalpa can exhibit some really nice chatoyancy. The light can bounce around as you rotate the wood. I have some curly catalpa that just knocks your socks off. My favorite method for adding color in my bowls and vessels is to paint the piece with acrylic paint, then fully sand it again. The paint stays in the pores. See the red and black piece on the right side of the postcard.

Chasper

Catalpa is the wood of choice for chain saw carvers. It weathers great, good for restoring the bed floor in an old pick-up truck, can't be beat for bee hives. For pens? Its a so so wood, the chatoyant shimmer is nice.

Top Bottom