Anyone make pens from Flame Box Elder??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toyotaman

I've been looking here a while and I don't think I've seen any pens made from the very pretty "Flame Box Elder" wood. I've made several slims from it and they are great. Anyone else use this?

Attachments

• IMG_2628.jpg
    IMG_2628.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,692
  • 0105122119.jpg
    0105122119.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 413
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scottsheapens

I have tried it a couple it a couple times. It looks good in the slim line. Have not tried any other styles of pen with the Flame Box Elder.

76winger

I've been looking here a while and I don't think I've seen any pens made from the very pretty "Flame Box Elder" wood. I've made several slims from it and they are great. Anyone else use this?

I've made a Princess pen and a couple bowls from Boxelder so far. Will be doing some time in the future as I've got several blanks sitting around and waiting for the opportunity to become a pen. You're looks good! It's got a lot of the red in it.

panamint

I am just starting out turning and made this one a few weeks ago. I glued up the blank from some small scraps to get the cross grain.
Scott

Attachments

• DSC07910.jpg
    DSC07910.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 988
Last edited:

gbpens

Nice pen withgood concentration of flame for a slimline. I have turned some Jr Gents but they seldom sell. While I think they are beautiful the buying public does not agree. That's quite a supply of flamed boxelder in the picture - several years worth.

drgoretex

I have made quite a number out of box elder burl, some with the red streak, some without, always popular (also known as 'Manitoba Maple' ;). But, the non-burly wood, I have not used as much, as it doesn't seem to generate as much interest. I have used it for fishing rod grips before...

Ken

ohiococonut

The women love it. Here's one I made for my wife a few months back. It looks like it has little roses in it.

TCsPen.jpg

I've also got some logs I picked up from a recent cutting that are drying in one of my buildings. I'll probably make a couple of bowls and cut the rest for pen blanks once they're dried.

RedFlameBoxElderlog.jpg

toyotaman

I like to collect wood in general. Box Elder is one of my favorites. It's nice to cut into a piece and see the amazing colors running all over. This stuff is a hot seller around here.

76winger

Just to add to the collection started, here's the only boxelder pen I've turned so far. But there's many more to come!

(Click thumbnail for larger view, and again for full size)

Last edited:

BSea

Here's one from a small piece of flame Box Elder burl. I made my wife an Aero, but I don't have a picture of it on Photobucket, and I'm out of town right now.

Kathypen1.jpg

KP

I've made a few and love the look. I find folks are fascinated by it when they find out that the red color is natural; most have no idea that wood can be that color naturally.

BTW, there is a neat article talking about what causes the red color here:

Etiology of Red Stain in Boxelder

A very cool study.

Ken

rherrell

This is one of my favorites, I made it about 4 years ago and every time I open my pen case I love to pick it up and just stare at it!:biggrin:

Top Bottom