Anyone know the thread size on nib

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

howdy all
Things are finally calming down and the Garage is comming along.
Uncoverd all the tools yesterday.....So im getting ready to play again.

Which leads me to the question.

Anyone know the thread size on the fountain nib, nip coupler and the end cap coupler for a JR Statesman.

Tried to match them up at home depot but no luck.

thanks......pete

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

They are usually very fine metric threads like M8 x .75 on the nib. Taps in those sizes are extremely hard to find. I had to make my own taps for my nibs. I've never gotten that particular kit, so I can't say for sure.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The threads are M10 x 0.75. FYI, the tap and the die have to be the same size! (Or else they'll never screw together) [8D]

pete00

Originally posted by btboone
<br />They are usually very fine metric threads like M8 x .75 on the nib. Taps in those sizes are extremely hard to find. I had to make my own taps for my nibs. I've never gotten that particular kit, so I can't say for sure.

thanks for the info, I just gave the statemans as an example.
I was looking for what you said "<b>fine metric threads</b>" Im assuming that there all going to be in that family.

I'll give a quick look on line and see who may carry a tap and die set. thanks....pete

pete00

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />The threads are M10 x 0.75. FYI, the tap and the die have to be the same size! (Or else they'll never screw together) [8D]

thanks Lou,
im off to see if i can find some tap and die sets.
Just checked mine of course there course, and thats not fine[:D]

.......pete

btboone

They are extremely fine. MSC and the usual places don't have them that fine. I think I measured another custom nib at M8 x .65, which is a real strange one.

pete00

<br />They are extremely fine. MSC and the usual places don't have them that fine. I think I measured another custom nib at M8 x .65, which is a real strange one.

Hmmm....... well then, are there any replacement nibs that have a commonly found size in a standard tap and die set ?

A quick look found this set.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41452

Size range: M6 to M24
Coarse threads: 1.0 to 1.5 pitch
Fine threads: .75 to 1.5 pitch

thanks.....pete

dfurlano

Yea but that set will not have the tap or die that is needed for the nibs. Also it is very difficult to cut the threads using taps and dies into plastic and they are to fine for wood. Really the only way is to cut the threads with a lathe or CNC.

M

Mudder

<br />They are extremely fine. MSC and the usual places don't have them that fine. I think I measured another custom nib at M8 x .65, which is a real strange one.

MSC sells M8 x 0.75 and M10 x 0.75 because we use them here at work and get them from MSC

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1737132&PMT4NO=12444607

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1737055&PMT4NO=12444607

btboone

I see from an old thread that the nib threads were actually M6.5 x .75 and M6.5 x .5 for the ones I got from Anthony and another from Rich. Here's the thread: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=9303&SearchTerms=tap

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by dfurlano
<br />Yea but that set will not have the tap or die that is needed for the nibs. Also it is very difficult to cut the threads using taps and dies into plastic and they are to fine for wood. Really the only way is to cut the threads with a lathe or CNC.

How was it done before CNC machines were invented?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom