Anyone know of Monte Blan type kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Husky

I have a customer who has a few Mont Blancs but really likes my pens. He is interested in me making a few pens along Mont Blanc lines. I know of AS's Olympia remotely resembles a classic Mont Blanc, anyone know of any other kits that are or can be made to come close to that type of pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Cav is right about the 8mm Euro, but I'm partial to the 7mm "Cross-style" Euro more. Just more simple to make IMO and the pen has a long track record.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
The 7mm Euro comes in Ballpen only, while the 8mm Euro comes in Ballpen, Rollerball and Fountain Pen.

randyrls

Originally posted by Husky

I have a customer who has a few Mont Blancs but really likes my pens. He is interested in me making a few pens along Mont Blanc lines. I know of AS's Olympia remotely resembles a classic Mont Blanc, anyone know of any other kits that are or can be made to come close to that type of pen?

No pen is called a "Mont Blanc" because the company vigorously (Hmm my spelling checker also suggested viciously) defends it's company name. Many of the same style are referred to as "European" style.

Husky

Originally posted by randyrls

No pen is called a "Mont Blanc" because the company vigorously (Hmm my spelling checker also suggested viciously) defends it's company name. Many of the same style are referred to as "European" style.

That is what I figured. The company must actively defend its styling and pulls in the reigns on anything that comes too clase to resembling their pens. THe Europeans seem like a good choice, but needing a rollerball, I am thinking about a Churchill (he also likes pens with a large diameter if possible) but I've never made one of these so I am not real familiar with their final appearance.

gerryr

Since he already owns Mont Blanc pens, do not make him a Berea round top European roller ball. You will get frustrated making it and he won't like it. It has metal to metal threads and they are guaranteed to unscrew in his shirt pocket. Make a closed end Churchill or a closed end Apollo Elite from PSI. The Apollo is a bit heavier than the Churchill, but it is more durable since it doesn't have the delrin nib coupler that seems to break too often.

JohnU

After looking at the Mont Blanc link, Im wondering why none of you kitless pen makers havent invented a postable euro kit for us tool challenged pen makers. Thanks for the link, those are very nice!

its_virgil

Here is a link to the MB Boheme which has a stricking resemblence to the El Toro, El Presidente, Havana, or Little Havana....or maybe they have a stricking resemblence to the MB Boheme.:D

http://www.montblanc.com/products/black_resin_platinum_bleu.05778.php

Do a good turn daily!
Don

sbell111

I bet that most people who mention Montblanc's are referring to the black resin Meisterstück. Most people don't even know that they make other styles.

Elliott

I worked a bit with the 8mm pen. It is really the closet thing to the Monte Blanc. In fact it was sold to me as such.

One think, this is also the most unforgiving pen kit I have EVER worked with, the tenons and pen tub needs to be EXACT, otherwise it will not twist properly.

This is because it relies on top and bottom tube to determine he placement of the refill; unlike the cross which can be adjusted in the bottom tube, and is often independent of the top tube.

Regards,
E

Husky

Originally posted by its_virgil

Here is a link to the MB Boheme which has a stricking resemblence to the El Toro, El Presidente, Havana, or Little Havana....or maybe they have a stricking resemblence to the MB Boheme.:D

http://www.montblanc.com/products/black_resin_platinum_bleu.05778.php

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thanks Don!. I never knew Mont blanc made that many different styles. Since he liked the curved top of the Sedona I'm going to look into the Sedona(I only brought a closed end to show him, he wants the cap to post though,so a standard Sedona might just work) as well as the Apollo and see if he likes them.

Top Bottom