Anyone Intersted In Some Real Damascus Steel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marker

DSCN1320.jpg

DSCN1319.jpg

DSCN1308.jpg

DSCN1309.jpg

DSCN1310.jpg

DSCN1312.jpg

DSCN1314.jpg

I have a friend who makes Damascus steel knives. He just recently made me 30+ round bars of Damascus steel.

These are all 12" long....they are about 1 3/16" in diameter In the raw form ..once they are turned down they should clear 7/8" all the way.

Most of it is wire twisted Damascus, some are twisted tighter then others, and some are just straight Damascus.

Anyone Interested in some?? I know that there has been a lot of people on here offering this recently...

I will be making a few kitless pens with this stuff...I also may pre-turn some barrels if anyone is interested....

the first three pictures down below show more of a straighter pattern, which still needs to be etched...

Attachments

• DSCN1253.jpg
    DSCN1253.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN1254.jpg
    DSCN1254.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCN1256.jpg
    DSCN1256.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCN0962.jpg
    DSCN0962.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marker

The first two pictures show the twisted pattern in the raw form
The third pic shows the straight stuff in the raw form
the fourth and fith picture shows what the twisted stull loods like turned....they still need to be etched.

the last picture is of another straight piece.

I will try to get some of the twisted pieces turned and etched within a week

Last edited:

Marker

I will get back to you all about the prices. It all depends on how long it takes me to turn them down to 3/4" or 7/8"...

Would you be interested in some as they are in the raw form???

I am assuming that most people have mini lathes....If that is the case ....it may be hard for you to turn one of these down from the raw form, as they are about 1 3/16" in diameter....and they wouldn't fit though the spindle hole.

This is why I think It may be best for me to turn them all down to 3/4"....so that they will fit thought the though holes of most all lathes...I also may cut some into 3/4"x6" blanks.

I will turn one of these down, and acid etch it so we can see the pattern. However I may not be able to get it done until this weekend, as I am very busy this week.

I will get back to you all later.

Attachments

• DSCN1321.jpg
    DSCN1321.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCN1324.jpg
    DSCN1324.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

Marker

If you are interested in buying a raw rod.

ypu may want to wait until I post a picture of what one looks like etched...just to see if you would be happy with the pattern.

Last edited:

Marker

Here are a few pictures of these being etched in ferric chloride....I didnt sand and polish them as much as I should have...

I talked to my friend that made these bars....and he told be not to use ferric chloride....a little too late...

He said that I will get much better results using sulfuric acid....So I will do so later on tonight....

Later on tonight I will sand or turn these back down and this time etch them using sulfuric acid...

I turned one of these raw bars DSCN1336.jpg
halfway down, and cut it to 6"
in length and it is about 7/8 in diameter DSCN1337.jpg

DSCN1335.jpg

Then I etched it in ferric chloride...

DSCN1338.jpg

DSCN1339.jpg

I then put it on one of my lathes and let it dry....I should have polished them more so that they would have been brighter....I can still
DSCN1349.jpg

DSCN1360.jpg

DSCN1362.jpg
This is just junk barrel for a majestic squire...that I made from a piece of scrap damascus......I should have pugged the end with wax so that no acid would get in the inside...

DSCN1376.jpg

DSCN1375.jpg

DSCN1368.jpg

DSCN1371.jpg
All of these seem it look pitted since I used the ferric chloride.

I will turn them back down a bit so that I can retched them using sulfuric acid this time...

This piece came from a different batch...and it was super hard....so I annealed it...By heating it up to where it was cherry red. I then put it in this brick to cool off with anther brick like it on the top.

With this piece I will make a Jr series size..kitless closed end pen..
DSCN1356.jpg

This one I will make a senior series size kitless pen with..

DSCN1365.jpg

Last edited:

edstreet

Here are a few picture of these being etched in ferric chloride....I didnt sand and polish them as much as I should have...

I talked to my friend that made these....and he told be not to use ferric chloride....a little too late...

He said that I will get much better results using sulfuric acid....So I will do so later on tonight....

Later on tonight I will sand or turn these back down and this time use sulfuric acid...

He said that sulfuric acid will make the higher contrast steel much brighter, and darker steel much darker...

This piece came from a different batch...and it was super hard....so I annealed it...By heating it up to were it was cerry red and then put it in this brick to cool off with anther brick like it on the top.

ferric chloride, sulfuric acid. Don't get caught up in the hype, myth and BS that propagate's in these circles over what to use. Highlights being 'brighter' is a pure function of BUFFING, *NOT* etching. The low spots is are defined by the acid, be it vinegar, ferric, sulfuric or any other acid. Crystalline structure on damascus does not reflect that of any value to warrant using one type over another. Togi does dictate a preference. I even took the liberty to confirm with with fellow knife makers and the writings of a master togi. So to make any type of claim as on the 'highlights' I would have to call BS and state that it broke my meter, to please ask your person to provide better myths and deception that is way more convincing.

Marker

I tried the sulfuric acid, and here are the results.
I got to polish these more so that they shine more.
The only thing that I noticed different then the
ferric chloride. Is that too me it seems as if the ferric chloride pitted the steel, as the sulfuric acid didn't seems to.

DSCN1382.jpg

DSCN1383.jpg

DSCN1384.jpg

DSCN1385.jpg

This right here is just a piece with a hole drilled thought it....It is not yet a barrel.
DSCN1378.jpg

Last edited:

Marker

I will try to get ahold of him tomorrow and ask him exactly what he meant,

Here are a few picture of these being etched in ferric chloride....I didnt sand and polish them as much as I should have...

I talked to my friend that made these....and he told be not to use ferric chloride....a little too late...

Later on tonight I will sand or turn these back down and this time use sulfuric acid...

He said that sulfuric acid will make the higher contrast steel much brighter, and darker steel much darker...

This piece came from a different batch...and it was super hard....so I annealed it...By heating it up to were it was cerry red and then put it in this brick to cool off with anther brick like it on the top.

ferric chloride, sulfuric acid. Don't get caught up in the hype, myth and BS that propagate's in these circles over what to use. Highlights being 'brighter' is a pure function of BUFFING, *NOT* etching. The low spots is are defined by the acid, be it vinegar, ferric, sulfuric or any other acid. Crystalline structure on damascus does not reflect that of any value to warrant using one type over another. Togi does dictate a preference. I even took the liberty to confirm with with fellow knife makers and the writings of a master togi. So to make any type of claim as on the 'highlights' I would have to call BS and state that it broke my meter, to please ask your person to provide better myths and deception that is way more convincing.

edstreet

Pitting is often a result of the ratio being off, to long on solution. Can also be flaws in the welding as well. Could also be impurities in the metal and/or weld.

Some use lemon juice and most will repeat dipping 3 times for best results. Lemon juice will also remove scale.

Cold blue then a good buff on the highlights yields good contrast and colors.

Other things you can etch with, coffee, walnut, any/all fruit juices, etc..

After several searches on don fogg's site I did find several references to hydrogen embrittlement when using HCL.

Last edited:
Top Bottom