anyone had trioubkle with cherfware kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker1967

hi everyone I done know it this is the right place to post this or if I should even post it but I was wondering does anyone know how to get of the person who runs chefware kits I placed a order over a week ago and every time I check to see the status of the order I either get no order had been placed or the shipping label has been but that is as far as it went . I have not got an answer from any of my emails on this problem is he even still in business I don't mean to sound mean this is the first time that I have had any trouble with a order from any vendor on here. thanks for listening

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

I've seen the business thrown around here a lot but never used them.

You tried to call and email? Some companies are great at one and terrible at the other!

Beyond that, you probably want to call your credit card company to see how long you need to "wait it out" before disputing it. A week isn't much time to wait, but what's that saying... something like a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Just don't wait too long. I did that a number of months ago and gave someone else the "benefit of the doubt" and went along but then they screwed me and I was out. Wouldn't recommend that!

TonyL

Sorry for your experience. Their site makes the opposite claim about wanted to talk, etc.:
Chefwareklts

If my credit card was charged, I would dispute it and be done with it.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I've never ordered from them, so I have no personal experience to report.

The company is owned by Craig Lapiana, who is a vet and an IAP member, but his last site visit was in March. It is obviously a one-man business and sometimes life does get in the way of efficient business operation.

His About Us page sounds quite sincere & his phone number is posted on his web site, so I would definitely try to give him a call if you haven't already done so.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Craig is a good vendor, I am ashamed of some of the comments on this thread. Dispute the charge when it has only been a week? Come on, Tony! Small business is a challenge sometime, I know this first hand! In the day of instant gratification, there is little leeway for us small, one man shops to deal with our own life issue or events that take us away without getting comments like this.

Also remember, e-mail is not always reliable! I can't tell you how many times I have had customers claim I never replied to their e-mail. As an e-commerce guy full time for the last 4 years, I have learned to not permanently delete any e-mails. I have every e-mail sent or received for the past 4 years and there have been many times I have had customers claim I never replied only to search my sent e-mails and see multiple replies. Due to all the *&^^%$# spammers out there, many times small business e-mail ends up in your spam folder or even not allowed through the e-mail provider at all. I have gone to painful length to try to assure my e-mail is deliverable including getting my own dedicated e-mail server, etc and still I get blocked. Not saying this is the case here, but it could be.

Also, even phone calls can not always be returned right away. Remember, we are mom and pop just like you and have lots of things to juggle each and every day. This includes product sourcing and ordering, making product, shipping, returning the multitudes of e-mail, answering phone calls, replying to voice mails, and also trying to have our own family life and personal time. Throw in a vacation, sickness, or business trip and it all goes to hell quickly! Not all of us have loads of people working for us! Sure, some will say we just need to hire more people. That is not always possible. Employees cost a lot of money to a business. There is a fine line between being able to afford an employee or add another employee and staying profitable. Add in the cyclical nature of this industry and it is a real challenge. I have one employee. At times of the year, we are both super busy and the cost of that employee is justified. At other times of the year, that employee is just a drain on the business because it is the slow time for this industry but, being a good employer and loyal to those who are loyal to me, I suck it up. During the busy times, I really could use another employee but knowing that the slow time is right around the corner, I can't justify it. These are just some of the same challenges all of us in small business face each day!

To get back directly to your concern, I just called and spoke to Craig as I consider him a friend and didn't want his name tarnished. I called the number listed on his website and he called me back while I was leaving a voice mail. He did not know it was me so no special favors there. He is traveling to Texas to attend the SWAT (Southwest Association of Turners) symposium next week. I made him aware of this thread and your concerns. I will let him take care of it from there.

TonyL

I agree with you Curtis. However, if I saw a charge on card, and I haven't received the goods with a vendor that I don't have experience with and can't get in touch with, I will dispute the charge. And that vendor has every right to never accept an order from me again[/B]. Having said that, I have had thousands sit on my credit card (paid for of course) without hearing a peep from a supplier that I deal with regularly. I just did that with a lathe purchase (for hundreds, not thousands). I am not trying to change anyone's mind or tell him/her what to do or tell him/her what they should or should not be concerned with. I merely stated what I would do if I was uncomfortable as the OP appeared. I actually visited thought it looked pretty good. At the same time, they make some pretty bold statements about their level customer intimacy - which would make me uncomfortable if I was not being communicated with as they advertise.

That was my the motivation behind "What I would do if it was me".

Peace :)

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Tony, You would really dispute a charge after only 1 week? I do thousands of dollars of internet buying monthly and would not even consider filing a dispute after 1 week. Also, in case you don't know, if the vendor uses Paypal for accepting credit cards, most of the time the payment is processed immediately. There is a way to do it later when it ships but it does not work for every shopping cart. I have had customers pissed off because "I charged their card" when they placed an order for a vacuum chamber that clearly shows on my website that their is a lead time. I did not charge ANYONE'S credit card, they submitted payment by their credit card through Paypal. I still find it appalling that a credit card dispute would be filed after only 1 week with a small business that even says they are a small business on their website. We do have a life too and sometimes things happen that don't allow us to immediately reply to inquiries. Heck, if I get sick tomorrow with the flu, you will not be able to reach me until I get well. Nothing I can do about that. Patience is a virtue that is lost in today's society.

TonyL

I respect your opinion Curtis, and happen to agree with you - assuming I have done with the supplier before or know of his character as you do.

There were no aspersions being cast on the supplier's business, nor the proprietor or management . In fact, I visited the site and liked it. My advice in terms of what I would do assuming I was unfamiliar with the supplier (any supplier), and was not able to communicate to my satisfaction, is just what I would do. And assuming I did contest a charge, I would not expect the supplier to accept an order from me in the future.

In my mind, this is a different story for the folks that I familiar with, both the private sellers and business sellers. I just see it as a matter of how comfortable someone may be doing business with someone for the first time or in general, after several attempts to communicate have been made. I don't see right or wrong on either side. I am not telling anyone how they should view the situation, just how I see it assuming my card was hit and I couldn't communicate with (and not familiar with) a supplier. I am not even saying that the supplier was remiss. This, to me, was about the OP's comfort level.

I hope this is a clearer explanation of my intentions. I certainly respect everyone's right to handle it differently, perhaps more patiently.

Peace :)

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Fair enough, Tony. I just believe in giving folks the benefit of doubt. Of course before I purchase anything online, I check out the company. If they do not have at least phone number and preferably something about them such as where they are, I won't do business with them unless they are the only option. Even then, I would not consider filing a dispute for at least 3-4 weeks.

TonyL

PM sent

Sorry Todd. I hope you resolve the transaction to the mutual satisfaction of both parties

clapiana

hey turners,

todd your order shipped today usps priority from NC so you should have it monday. sorry for the delay. i did print out your label to ship your order on the day we left but many unforeseen obstacles showed up last minute which prevented it from being shipped. As curtis mentioned we are on travel from NH to SWAT in Waco TX so it got delayed a few days. hope you dont mind but my wife packed the order and dropped it off at the local post office while i was posting the sign on our website saying to expect a few days delay on orders because we are driving...... not sure if this qualifies us as a "2 bit" operation.

chefwarekits is indeed a small family owned business who is blessed to have the opportunity and privilege to serve such a fantastic woodturning community and the IAP is the best. we have not forgotten our roots being planted right here on the IAP.

when you purchase from us you are directly supporting the family of an American war veteran who is a turner that loves his Country, Family and most of all his Lord Jesus Christ. By the way your are also potentially supporting up to at least 30 other small family businesses who we purchase from both here in the USA and overseas. we do strongly believe in supporting other small business owners even when it cost us more because it is the right thing to do. we also are vendors for Robert Sorby, Easy Wood Tools and we just recently picked up Robust Lathes so we also deal with the big outfits too but we prefer supporting the "small guy" whenever possible.

i hope i have cleared up some of the confusion.

blessings!
craig
chefwarekits.com

ps: i will say i agree that a phone call to a new business you are dealing with is wise. if they dont respond to emails or have a phone # that is easy to find on their site warning flags should be raised. on our website we do have our phone # front and center because we love talking with new turners who have questions and also because many of our older customers do not have a computer. it is amazing how many new turners call us because they are upset with the lack of customer service with the big catalog sites. we hope they keep it up because i enjoy getting their customer's calls. when you call us you will quickly see we are focused on you.

penmaker1967

I got it Monday craig I did not mean to start anything I was just checking on it but I got it in time to do what I needed to do with it . thank you for sending out when u had the time and I understand that things do come up I have the same thing going on in my very small business it is nothing like what the vendors do on here so I understand that things come up. again I am sorry if I started something that was not what I intended to do at all. I would never bad mouth or put down any vendor on here or any of the other vendors that I deal with. again thank you and please forgive me

Skie_M

My only problem with Chefware Kits ....

The only kit I want (the jalapeno popper prep tool) is out of production and out of stock. :(

Top Bottom