Anyone ever make their own hand plane?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew_K99

I made one at a Lee Valley seminar. They are rather simple as long as you get the geometry correct. There are quite a few books out there on how to make them.

In total it took around 6 man hours or so to cut all pieces, fit them, glue the sides, shape the body as desired, and fit the wedge correctly.

They're a fun project, something I will do again.

AK

Parson

You mean like this one?

Attachments

• plane.jpg
    plane.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,333

AlanHil

On making planes

I've made several and like turning pens, you just dive in and make some. 45 degree angle on the iron for general work. I make guitars and have made several small and really small planes for that.

donpratt

I've never made one, but search for a blog titled "The Village Carpenter". The gal that writes it is an amazing craftsman. She has written about making her own planes. I think she even made her own irons from tool steel. Definitely a good read.

rherrell

I made a metal one.......
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's a rabbet plane, 11/16" wide and made from brass and steel. The wedge is Purpleheart and the filler is Walnut. I made the brass adjusting screw on my metal lathe so the only "store bought" item is the iron. All the dovetails are cut by hand using a file and then peened over with a hammer.

After all that it took hours of filing and sanding to get the sole perfectly flat.

Attachments

• dp1.jpg
    dp1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 730
  • dp2.jpg
    dp2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 770
  • dp3.jpg
    dp3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 519
  • dp4.jpg
    dp4.jpg