Anyone drill out actual bullets for tips of cartridge pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbmauser

I have seen some pens using real projectiles in place of the standard gold nib in most kits. Have any of you done this and if so how to you hold the bullet without leaving capture marks. My only idea is to drill out a piece of hardwood and effect a jam fit, drill it then press it out. I have not built this jig yet I thought I would first ask the gathered craftsman. Thanks, JB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pssherman

I use "pulled" military bullets with steel liners under the copper jacket. That way I can melt out all of the lead before drilling. I use pliers to hold the bullet while I drill from the backside.The cavity that is left behind from removing the lead centers the drill bit. Grip the bullet far enough back so that any marks that are left will be inside the casing when you seat the bullet.

Oh, one more thing. If you use steel lined bullets, put a drop of oil on the tip of the drill bit so that you don't burn up the bit. DAMHIKT

KenV

Collet chuck works well. I have seen some use a drill chuck - preferably one with small runout. Have also seen some who made a wooden mandrel that fits inside a collet chuck or drill chuck to reduce the marking.

I use Barnes solid bullets (lead free) and they drill out easily.

jttheclockman

I too use a collet chuck. If you check the library there is some good articles and it there is one that shows how to make a wood collet chuck. I think a real bullet makes them look more authentic.

its_virgil

There are two or three tutorials in the library that show how its done.
Do a good turnn daily!
Don

I have seen some pens using real projectiles in place of the standard gold nib in most kits. Have any of you done this and if so how to you hold the bullet without leaving capture marks. My only idea is to drill out a piece of hardwood and effect a jam fit, drill it then press it out. I have not built this jig yet I thought I would first ask the gathered craftsman. Thanks, JB

sparhawk

I just use two drill chucks, one in each end. Chuck the bullet behind where it will be in the neck, drill a short ways in, then remove and heat with a torch until the lead runs out. I use full metal jacket bullets.

nava1uni

If you are going to heat the bullet to melt the lead you need to be real careful. Lead is very poisonous and the fumes can carry it more easily into your body. Lead poisoning can be very damaging to your body and brain. Use tips that have no lead in them to be the safest.

Sylvanite

I've drilled over a thousand bullets making bullet pen kits. A collet chuck is the indispensible tool for this task. It grips the bullet (or brass) tightly without marking. When I first started, I made my own collets from wood and held them in a 4-jaw chuck, but it was not nearly as secure nor concentric as a Beall chuck.

Starting the hole with a center bit really helps also. I wouldn't be making the kits without these two tools.

Good luck,
Eric

tim self

For those of us without collet chucks, I wrap the bullet in a piece of shelf liner material and put it in my blank vise. Be sure to measure the refil to make sure you do not oversize the hole. DAMHIKT. And for those really ambitious, put the bullet in the drill and polish.

PenPal

Drilling Bullets

I buy Dorf Drills that have been made to drill brass and they sure cut lead filled copper bullets real easy. I use collets in my small metal lathe and find them so convenient and easy to set up. I buy the bullets with an indent in the nose use a centre drill always first as a great guide, you can get them in all sizes and they last for years.
Have success Peter.

Rick_G

I use copper FMJ bullets. Melt the lead out then mount them in my drill chuck. You will find there is a line on the bullet that you seat it to in the brass. Keep the chuck jaws behind that and there is no problem. With the ones I am using I file the point down to where it matches the width of the nib in a pen and so far the hole in the hollow in the bullet just starts to show at that point so I have an exact center to start drilling at. Once drilled I will polish it up to 12000 grit sandpaper and brasso while still in the chuck.

Top Bottom