Anybody know about cigar boxes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I like to make pen boxes out of cigar boxes.

Just got this one. Guy said he's had it for awhile. This doesn't seem to be the current logo?

Anybody know anything about this box? It's the biggest cigar box I've seen yet.

Attachments

• image-1675536485.jpg
    image-1675536485.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 161
  • image-1481205630.jpg
    image-1481205630.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 135
  • image-3105897354.jpg
    image-3105897354.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 200
  • image-1720633598.jpg
    image-1720633598.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 150
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Looked up the logo brand ...
Meaning "king of the world," El Rey del Mundo is a fitting name considering that the brand has featured some the cigar industry's best smokes since it was established in pre-revolution Cuba in 1882. Now produced in Honduras and, more recently, Nicaragua, El Rey de Mundo cigars have remained true to their top-quality roots to this day. With a staggering array of shapes, wrapper colors, and sizes, most El Rey del Mundo cigars are handcrafted in the same factory as such other notables like Hoyo de Monterrey and Punch, earning them the reputation that has always ensured their status as some of our best-selling cigar brands.

That box looks like their small rosewood humidor.

https://www.jrcigars.com/item/cigar-humidors-humidifying-devices/cigar-humidors/rosewood-small/3h3005

jttheclockman

That does look pretty close. Without the logo on top. May ol JT the non cigar guy was right after all. :)

Dan, I never took up the nasty habit of smoking. I look at the price of cigars and cigarettes these days and can only think of how many pens I could make with the money and that is a good deterrent. :biggrin:

The design of the box is a give away also. Nice wood and it would make a nice box for just about anything.

jttheclockman

Humidors can get very very fancy when they start doing inlays and using high quality veneers. It can be a piece of art work. At one time in my woodworking adventures I wanted to get into making high end jewelry boxes. I looked at humidors for inspirational ideas. :) The humidifier that is velcroed is replaceable thus the velcro.

Dan Masshardt

I'm thinking about soon two layers with a lift out tray. Will hold lots of pens then.

The inside is the same as the nicer boxes I've seen The rosewood veneered top is super cool though.

blade.white

1960 Diplomat View, Colorado Springs, CO 80905
I smoke cigars occasionally, that is a humidor for sure. Probably a cigar brand humidor. The inside is lined with Spanish cedar. If you are still curious about the cigars that came with it or the company, you could try to contact Cigars International and they maybe can tell you something.
Either way it will make a beautiful pen box.

VotTak

Being cigar smoker I can say that I have never seen El Rey Del Mundo cigars come in such a box. I'd say that cigars never come in humidors like you pictured. It is just a humidor with cigar logo.
Cigars might come in very nice boxes but I have never seen those boxes being built using those latches.

Dan Masshardt

Well there seems to be a consensus on humidor. :). I paid $15 for it on Craigslist locally.

I have had a cigar box with the quadrant hinges but it wasn't big like the one I originally posted here.

Attachments

• image-2129185454.jpg
    image-2129185454.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 131

jttheclockman

Well there seems to be a consensus on humidor. :). I paid $15 for it on Craigslist locally.

I have had a cigar box with the quadrant hinges but it wasn't big like the one I originally posted here.

Dan that box is also very nice and makes for a nice pen display box. May have to start looking for these type boxes.:)

bkersten

There's a cigar store here in Gettysburg that sometimes sets out empty boxes for sale. They had some nice 150th battle of Gettysburg boxes that
had pictures of the different leaders on, and one done with Lincoln embossed
on it. Never know what they will have out or when.

Dan Masshardt

There's a cigar store here in Gettysburg that sometimes sets out empty boxes for sale. They had some nice 150th battle of Gettysburg boxes that had pictures of the different leaders on, and one done with Lincoln embossed on it. Never know what they will have out or when.

That sounds cool. The next time I'm down that way I'll have to check it out.

Most cigar shops seem to give away or sell fairly cheap. I just can't get the timing right usually.

Turned Around

I actually sell cigars and humidors on the side. That, good sir, is a smaller desk sized humidor. The humidifier on the lid doesn't absorb moisture, it gives it off. The reason it's velcroed on the lid is so that you can take it off and fill it with distilled water without having to take all the cigars out of the humidor.

Top Bottom