Anybody heard of General Finshes Wood Turners Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jasonbowman

Anyone used this? I was down at the local wood shop today and was given a free sample. They indicated it isn't on the market yet but it is a water based urethane supposedly designed for finishing on the lathe. Supposedly food safe, low voc, etc. I assume you guys in the know probably participated on the testing group for this. So, what is the good, bad and ugly on this??? Best methods for application? Down sides? Shortcomings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AceHoleInOne

Hope this helps...note the comparison using CA glue along with the durability of a hardwood floor coating.

-Ace-

wtf%20flyer%202.jpg

pensbydesign

general let me be one of the testers during development for this finish, its easy to use no smell seems to be strong and durable. works like endoro var, dose need a day to cure before buffing even thou it dries in a couple min. i wouldn't be surprised if its the same thing in a different bottle, ingredients read the same and works the same, if your looking to get away from ca give it a try.

GColeman

General sent me an 8oz bottle. The finish works great on dense wood. However, it is not a grain filler. I have built about 25 coats on some spongy spalted maple. It still needs some more work. I think I will seal with a couple coats of thin CA on my next spongy blank.
Since it is water borne, it will raise the grain on some woods. I applied it to a cross cut cherry blank sanded to 600. After the first coat I could feel rough spots on the blank. I let the first coat dry over night and re sanded. It turned out fine after that.

AceHoleInOne

I sent General Finishes an e-mail about the porous wood issue. I too, when testing had the same issue, whereby it drank the coating in and what to use as a grain filler under their product. General Finishes response to that question...best on soft porous woods to use a couple heavy coats of Enduro Var first, then sand it down and apply the Wood Turners Finish.

In addition, I have been wondering, as well as reading at other forums, is this new product really Enduro-Var and could you respond to that?
This is what they had to say...Enduro Var and Wood Turners Finish are different products. The base resin is the same but the formulations and other ingredients are different.

So I guess in all fairness...Is chicken soup, fried chicken and chicken cordon bleu the same recipe? Or do they just use similar ingredients?

-Ace-

pensbydesign

(So I guess in all fairness...Is chicken soup, fried chicken and chicken cordon bleu the same recipe? Or do they just use similar ingredients?)

adding water to fried chicken doesn't make it soup, its very similar to the endoro var, they added something to it to flow better, (thinned out)
don;t get me wrong i think its a good product, i have done pens, a large bowl, handles, and a few bottle stoppers with it so far and it does apply easier. its a good alternative to ca no fumes which is a big plus. so far seams to hold up well time will tel. it is defiantly worth trying

jking

I'm a little curious about their claim that CA breaks down over time. I've never heard of CA breaking down in any length of time that matters.

AceHoleInOne

...(adding water to fried chicken doesn't make it soup, its very similar to the endoro var, they added something to it to flow better, (thinned out)
don;t get me wrong i think its a good product, i have done pens, a large bowl, handles, and a few bottle stoppers with it so far and it does apply easier. its a good alternative to ca no fumes which is a big plus. so far seams to hold up well time will tel. it is defiantly worth trying)

What!!!!!! Ya never heard of fried chicken soup :biggrin:

Jking...I think the CA breaking down thing, is from the oils and stuff of your hands. Sometimes that happens with guitars and lacquer finish. Just has a reaction from human sweat and stuff that softens the finish. General Finishes suggest that won't happen with their stuff????? Guess time will tell.

-Ace-

Last edited:
Top Bottom