Anybody ever turn a pen or made something out of this stuff?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BobBurt

Word of advise...

We have some of the best sellers here on this site, guys that guarantee their material, why go anywhere else.

I wouldn't trust any of these unproven sites

Just my two cents (CDN) worth

workinforwood

I'm with ya Jared. There's great guys here, but so is there elsewhere. Why spend $10 or more for DIB pen blanks when you can get the entire burl for a $100? You can make pens around the ends and a bowl too, or slab it up for pens and desk sets or a multitude of other projects. I do not buy regular wood pen blanks ever, I will only buy the board or burl cap as a whole. I haven't delt with all that many blank sellers here, but one's I have want to charge me for an uncut board what they would sell it for as a pen blank, and that makes no sense to me. There's alot of wood here that you buy for $2-$5 for a pen blank, but can be purchased as a board for $2-$10 a bf, which is the equivalent of 24 pen blanks in jumbo size. Do it Jared..shop around. Ocooch Hardwoods is in Wisconsin and they do not have the biggest selection in the world, but they have way better than average prices for lumber! I buy from them when I'm over there. I bought a 24" wide by 4' long piece of bloodwood for $50 from them, and here at the Exotic lumber supplier it would have been at least $200. I can make a pen of just boring domestic lumbers that will sell faster and for more money than any burl I've seen..that's simple segmentation! Gee..now I'm going off in a different direction I think, lol. Anyhow, my opinion is that that website you showed is charging too much ...$6 for just one piece of wood pen blank...that nobody did anything to..there's no labor, just a rip with a saw.

I think I ordered some wood from these guys a few years back, actual wood, and it was fine, came to me right on time no problems..I have purchased a lot of lumber online from numerous sources and never had a problem yet..bound to be someone bad of course, but I haven't found them yet.

Last edited:

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I've made several pens from Australian snakewood. It gets it's local name from the fact that the branches look like a snake, not beause the wood resembles snakewood.

Hi Jared,
I've purchased from Lee Tree Woodworks for several years now. The company was originally owned and operated by Lee Tannenbaum. A year or so ago, Lee sold his company to Steven Potts. Steven is a very accomplished turner and a great person to deal with. I'm not sure what kind of Snakewood that is in your link above. I DO know that there are many wood varieties that are commonly called "Snakewood" other than the one from South America that we are accustomed to. There is an Australian Snakewood that I think is what he is selling. Curly Narra is also called Snakewood. Anyway, Steven is a great guy to work with. If you have a bandsaw, I suggest you look at some of his burls. You can cut them to the size of blanks you need and any scrap pieces can be mixed with casting resin or aluminite, colored and molded into really amazing looking blanks that combine real wood and resin.

Hope my ramblings helped. Anyway, you can't go wrong with Lee Tree Woodworks. Their burls are top quality!!
Best Wishes,

OldWrangler

This stuff looks kinda cool. Anybody ever try it?

Has anyone ever gone here? My friend went there and bought some nice zebrawood and padauk.

http://houstonhardwoods.com/

Jared,

This is a great place for lumber but doesn't have a big selection of exotic woods. Tim and Guy, the owners are nice fellows I have known for about 20 years and will help you any way they can. Great place to visit and roam around among the lumber bins.

George

redfishsc

I'm with the above statements about taking care of our folks here. I'm a big fan of a LOT of our guys here. I'm not the biggest customer for any of them, but I do give them two thumbs up!

As a side note, maybe we can write a cool penturning spoof, "Snakewood On The Plane"

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks, Lou. I've always wondered about that. - where snakewood gets it's name.

CS,

Lou was giving the reason for the name of the "Aussie snakewood", as a comparison to what is the more normally called snakewood on this forum.

The "other" and more commonly used snakewood for pen turning can be seen at - click here
The grain of this wood gives the wood it's name, versus the Australian tree's limb shape to which Lou was referring.

Daniel

There are various way to go about getting your wood. I went through a period that I was collecting tree limbs and such. after spending several days cutting them up I realized that there are not a lot of gems in those limbs. I personally like the really figured stuff but that is a matter of taste. then I started buying blanks from suppliers and e-bay. the results where better but still I had a lot of just so so blanks and it was getting more expensive. when I looked at my boxes of blanks I was not really willing to make anything out of I started seeing nothing but dollar signs. so I finally bit the bullet and ordered a small box of blanks from Bill B of AS. I learned that when what I want is a real winning blank Bill (and others like him) are the way to go. If I want the fun of searching for real keepers, I can try cutting my own from whatever source I find the wood. I just cut up 30-40 lbs of walnut burl slabs, and got about 36 really nice blanks. the rest is nice to just pretty wood. I think it is more a matter of personal preference. If you have more time than money and enjoy lots of cutting. then cutting your own blanks would be a good way to go. If you want to open a box and head straight for the lathe then there are those out there that ahve gone through a lot of work and searching to find the very best. I was told by Bill once that even though he hand picks the burls and other wood he buys he still ends up throwing out around 20% of it. I like cutting blanks but it is hard on equipment if you are cutting large pieces. But when a customer calls with an order. I don't think twice. I head for where I know the good stuff will be. By the way, Bill b's blanks do not go in a box in my shop. I have a special drawer for them. all the blanks I would make a pen for myself with are in there.

woodtreker

I had someone give me a piece of "Silver Oak" that was also called snakewood... It was very porus and the holes did look like snake skin when finished... I will try to get a good picture to send... It was just enough to make about six pens... I wish I had more...

marcruby

Jared;

Lee Tree supplies several of the better known turners. That being said, don't expect their public prices to be bargains by our standards. I have several pieces of amboyna that have their labelling, although I got them as part of a deal with another turner. All are solid, large and well figured.

Marc

Galanw

The snakewood I know is gorgeous and turns beautifully. BUT before you try it, you had better read all the posts about cracking and splitting that seems to be characteristic. There are alot of different techniques for dealing with this... good luck works best.

redfishsc

The snakewood I know is gorgeous and turns beautifully. BUT before you try it, you had better read all the posts about cracking and splitting that seems to be characteristic. There are alot of different techniques for dealing with this... good luck works best.

I think you are referring to a different snakewood than is in the pics. What YOU are talking about is an absolutely stunning wood with a nasty reputation for disappointing folks about 6 months after turning the pen. What Jared posted is not what we normally refer to as snakewood.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Australian snakewood is Acacia xiphophylla.

The wood most traditionally called just "snakewood" is Piratinera guianensis and comes from Guyana (South America).

Gagler

Has anyone ever gone here? My friend went there and bought some nice zebrawood and padauk.

http://houstonhardwoods.com/

I live in the Houston area, and have visited Houston hardwoods. They are great folks, honest as the day is long, and have hosted our turning club in the past. It's off the beaten path a bit, and you can roam freely among the stacks. While they do have a great cariety of wood and are extremely helpful and honest, I don't recall many exotic woods - then again, I wasn't shopping for exotics.

If you do order from them, I think you won't be disappointed.

My two cents-

Michael

Top Bottom