Any luck with benchtop bandsaws?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JasonM

Has anyone had much success with the smaller benchtop bandsaws? I have an old ryobi that goes largely unused because I can't get a straight cut for the life of me. I've read lots of articles and watched lots of videos (here and on other sites) about better bandsawing, but no matter what I do with adjustments, settings, blades, etc. it just wants to traverse at pretty much any path other than straight.

I'm sure benchtop versions are at somewhat of a disadvantage over floor models and that you get what you pay for, but I want to double check the user before I blame the equipment? Am I playing against a stacked deck, or are the big store brand smaller tools up to the task?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LL Woodworks

I have the 9" Ryobi and use it all the time with a sled, and it does have issues. The guide system on mine is very poorly designed. It is cheap and constantly coming loose, requiring adjustment and the bearings are cheaply made. I've been researching table tops and am looking at switching to the Craftsman table top BS which is very similar to the Rikon 10-300 sold by Woodcraft. The blade support system looks much better than that of the Ryobi.

I have a Jet 14" with a 6" riser block installed in my main shop, and it is a great machine. But in my backyard pen studio I like having the smaller bandsaw.

Dan Masshardt

I have the 9" Ryobi and use it all the time with a sled, and it does have issues. The guide system on mine is very poorly designed. It is cheap and constantly coming loose, requiring adjustment and the bearings are cheaply made. I've been researching table tops and am looking at switching to the Craftsman table top BS which is very similar to the Rikon 10-300 sold by Woodcraft. The blade support system looks much better than that of the Ryobi.

I have a Jet 14" with a 6" riser block installed in my main shop, and it is a great machine. But in my backyard pen studio I like having the smaller bandsaw.

I think the craftsman or rikon 10" Is the one to get for a benchtop model. The metal frame is probably quite a bit stronger than those of the cheaper ones too.

OOPS

If you look at the difference in blade guides, you will be able to tell which bandsaws will give you better performance. For instance, my father owns a Rikon 14". He has guide wheels on either side of the blade, both above and below the table. Once properly aligned, these guide wheels keep the band from "roaming" while making a cut. It is physically impossible for the band to move further than what the wheels allow.

On the 9" saws and cheap models, there oftentimes aren't ANY wheels below the table, so your only alignment comes from above. That isn't sufficient if you're doing detail work. The bottom of the blade can move substantially, giving you more headache than you want.

I have two family members who own the Rikon 10" and both are quite happy. My brother in particular has used his for larger pieces (not exceeding the maximum) and reported good success. The Rikon 10" has the same guide system as the 14". I believe the Craftsman has a system similar to the Rikon, but can't remember as of this moment. I hope this helps.

longbeard

My old 9'' craftsman has guides above and below also. I think its all in the tuning and the blade. Took me awhile to get mine tuned but once i had a good blade, much easier. I use Morse blades, may not be the best, but works very well for cutting straight and 45dg cuts with a sled.

Speaking of blades, note to self - self, buy new blades.

Sataro

I've got one of the Craftsman benchtop models & like it. It does wander some, but I need to purchase a wider blade than the little narrow one that I'm running on it. Probably some user error also on not having it properly tuned & adjusted also.

dwarmbrodt

Yes, my 3 wheel Shopcraft was horrible on blades. That, and it wouldnt cut straight to save its life. I kinda tied the two things together. Still have it, not sure what I will ever use it for...... Oh, and new tires were expensive.

sbwertz

Buy Vermont American blades for the 3 wheeler. Never broke a blade after switching. My dad used a little grizzly 3 wheeler for his RC model airplanes. He was who told me about the Vermont American blades after mine broke for about the third time. They cost a little more, but it is worth it.

hobbyist2013

I've never heard of Vermont blade before. I might tell this to my buddy who has 3 wheeled band saw blades. He is sure fine with his blades right now but I think it's worth to check.

Turk98

10" band saw

I just bought a craftsman 10" band saw after reviewing all the options and costs. At first I thought it was a mistake, then I added a Wood Slicer 1/2" blade from Highland Woodworking and it is a completly different machine. The blades available from Sears are worthless, spend your money on a good blade. With the new blade and properly tuned bearings and tension the cuts are very clean and straight. I also just added a precision fence from Kreg. It will attach to the fence gauge that came with the saw, with the right bolts. I may need to drill one extra hole in the fence support for extra stability. With the new blade and fence I can resaw almost anything. The next project is to add a better miter gauge and make some jigs for cutting scallops. :)

Top Bottom