Any duplicator users out there?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rob73

Rob73

Hello,

I've recently been contacted by an artist in California who wanted to know if I could turn some raw bottle stoppers for her. I did a mock up of 10 for her in styles she wanted and she was quite satisfied. It turns out that she is producing a line of products for table settings. She does custom napkin rings, plates and so forth and is planning to sell them as 'sets' to retail boutiques. She also wants me to turn out some candle stick designs she is drawing up. One of her concerns is volume production and consistency. She asked if I could turn out 100+ a week… I think she's optimistic but I'd be happy to do so either way
rolleyes.gif

So the first thing I thought of was a duplicator. I sent in for PSI duplicator DVD that shows their model. That was a nightmare. It took 15 days for them to ship me the 'dvd' and all they sent me was a catalog with no dvd! I emailed them with the issue, they never responded so I ordered again… Took them an additional 11 days to finally send out the dvd. ( PSI
mad.gif
worst shipping and customer service I've dealt with so far ) A month later once the dvd arrived and I watched it to be quite honest that duplicator looks poorly made with cheap materials. I then looked at the vega (mini). It looks like a much better design and made with solid materials.

My question is does anyone out there have any experience with either duplicator? I would be curious if it would function well with such small items. Ie.. Stoppers on average 2 1/8" and her candle sticks ( which I Have not seen design yet) are supposed to be max 9" long with widest part 3". Will these duplicators actually be able to do small beads or any small details or is it more of a rough outline that you have to go back and finish off? Does it actually speed up production a marked amount? What are some problems you have run into? Any information would be helpful.

Here are a couple examples of her work on the stoppers I sent out to her.

3_thumb.jpg
5_thumb.jpg

TomW

I'm a Vega mini user, and really like it. I wont say it saves a lot of time, as with any turning, you can get into a bind pretty easy. I became even a bigger fan once I found a source for carbide cutters that were less expensive. If you can set up a lathe with a pattern and never touch the pattern, the Vega will turn em out. If you have to routinely change the pattern, or use the lathe for other purposes, you will give up in the first week.... if you get an order for 100 per week, you will last about 3 weeks regardless of what manual device you use...

I dont think you will be able to make 100% of the cuts successfully with the vega, especially around the top of the stoppers, and need to investigate the overall travel of the duplicator (radially against the blank). If you have to resort to making some of the cuts with "manual" lathe, then you need 2nd lathe with tool rest, or you will go crazy trying to set up the duplicator over and over...

Tom

Russianwolf

I have a Grizzly duplicator on the back of my lathe (set up there so that I can do both manual or dup turning without moving the equipment, you just have to flip the cutter and compensate for it). I haven't used mine with carbide cutters though I would like to try at some point, just need to find some that are the right sized shank. The HSS cutter they sell for mine are okay, but fine detail like beads are hard as you must take light cuts always going down the pattern (trying to go up digs in and ruins the pieces Not that I've ever done it :redface:). time saving? yes and no, I can do some things very fast with the dup, but fine detail ain't one of them. My main use is making consistent dowels very fast.

I have a PSI duplicator and I've been pretty happy with it. It can really speed up production work and creates exact duplicates. You can make your own templates and the replaceable carbide tips last a very long time. It is quite sturdy where it needs to be with no play in the sliding stylus.

All in all...... I think you'd be happy with it. Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

Top Bottom