Any antique car collectors out there? Model-A spoke pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bobalouie76

bobalouie76

Hi everyone!

So I have been trying to get this done for a few months now.... I finally got all my machinery fixed or replaced and have the supplies together.

I have been wanting to make a pen for my grandfather. He is a car collector and has upwards of 15 vehicles. From early 1900 Model-A's & Model-T's to Thunderbirds and Woodys. He even has a pre Model A Ford. Since his retirement his life has revolved around restoring and collecting cars.

So I had the idea of making him a pen from the spoke of an old Model-A. The original spokes were made of Hickory. Now I know Hickory isnt all that exciting of a wood to make a pen out of, but the history behind the piece of wood is pretty cool.

I also wanted to make an interesting box for the pen, so I made a replica of a spoke and bore out the middle of it. The pen slides into the center and then a plug closes it all up. Hopefully the pictures below will make this all clear.

Please feel free to give comments and suggestions.

Matt

Attachments

• phpx1sNjOPM.jpg
    phpx1sNjOPM.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 221
  • phpbATdQtPM.jpg
    phpbATdQtPM.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 182
  • php0xK6BSPM.jpg
    php0xK6BSPM.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 204
  • phpR5Xwq3PM.jpg
    phpR5Xwq3PM.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 194
  • php65iCvfPM.jpg
    php65iCvfPM.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobalouie76

A few more pictures

1 Navigator for my Grandfather & 3 Wall streets for the gentlemen I got the spokes from. If Im careful I can get 6 Wallstreets out of 1 spoke!

Attachments

• phpKVibHGPM.jpg
    phpKVibHGPM.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 180
  • phpKaxOTePM.jpg
    phpKaxOTePM.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

boxerman

Now that is just way to cool making pens out of wood wheel spoke and the pen box is cool. Your grandfather ought to like it.

Bree

You're a magician! You made something out of nothing. And something really nice to boot. Great job!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom