antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jack barnes

Ok you antler guys I picked this up at our local WC store today for $25. What would be a good guess on how many pens I can get out of them. Longest one is 12" and the shortest is 8". What type of antler is it?

Jack

Attachments

• 1010 001.jpg
    1010 001.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 1010 002.jpg
    1010 002.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stoneman

I also would say whitetail (the three on the left). The far right one looks like mule deer to me and the second to right could be either. I have limited exposure to mule deer, but what I've seen looks alot like the right end piece.

seawolf

Look in the forum for an artical about straiting antler. You should be able to get several pens. The left over parts can be used as center bands or other embelishments.
Mark

CaptG

I am thinking Elk tines also. Mulies have a bit more curve in the tines and whitetails have more curve yet. Just my opinion. BTW, nice score.

Chasper

They look like elk to me, but large whitetale can also be much like that. Often you can mix antler from one piece to another. You should be able to get a full two section pen out of each, possibly two out of the 12 inch piece and maybe another one or two out of the left overs. If they are elk some of them could be pourus especially on the large end, but you can fill them with CA.

jack barnes

Used some of the antler today made a gun metal roadster. Looks ok, but where marrow was filled with ca it has a redish brown color. is this normal? Going to have to use larger kits for the rest of it.

Jack

stoneman

I am thinking Elk tines also. Mulies have a bit more curve in the tines and whitetails have more curve yet. Just my opinion. BTW, nice score.

In my limited experience with elk antler, the marrow is much darker than what shows in these pics. Then again, I could be wrong.

Top Bottom