Antler and Turquoise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Sylvanite

This is another pen I made for the Birthday Bash. It was my submission for the Antler, Bone, or Horn Contest, and like my other entries, it was a learning experience.

attachment.php

This was the first time I've used crushed turquoise, and if I'd known before starting what I found out along the way, I'd have done a few things differently. I cut the six helical grooves with a Beall Pen Wizard using a metal burr in a Dremel tool, taking light cuts in multiple passes. I wasn't sure how deep I needed to go for the turquoise pieces, so I kept cutting until I reached the brass. That was a mistake. I should have left a bit of antler at the bottom.

I glued in the turquoise by floating some thin CA glue into the groove and sprinkling the turquoise in. I repeated that along each cut and around the pen until it was built up above flush. Then I saturated them with more CA, let it cure, and turned it back down.

That worked, but there were several places where the brass was visible. I wound up drilling those spots out with a tiny drill bit and filling them in with powdered turquoise. As you can see, the turquoise chips also didn't always fill flush to the edge of the grooves either.

In hindsight, I should have cut less deep, glued the turquoise chips in individually, and filled the gaps with powdered turquoise before flooding with thin CA. That way the edges would be clean and the brass wouldn't show through. That's my plan for next time.

Anyway, I hope you like the pen and enjoyed my ramblings. Thanks for looking,
Eric

Attachments

• AntlerPen2.jpg
    AntlerPen2.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 802
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

Great job, Eric! The turquoise works well with the antler. What did you use to finish the blank?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Personally... I loved this pen. I'm not a particular fan of antler, but the color combination and the style with the turquoise helical grooves just hit my number! Very Nice! :good::good::good:

vwa3guy

Eric that is a stunning pen. I think the turqoise looks phenominal. the edges come out different and in my opinion that is better. if they were all perfect all the way around it might look too perfect and manufactured. I would expect to this pen in a boutique shoppe in like arizona under glass for $350!!!! hahaha excellent work my friend.

sbwertz

Another trick is to sprinkle in a little bit of black embossing powder and thin CA before you put in the turquoise. It serves two purposes...it colors the brass tube so if there are any gaps they are black, not brass, and it makes a thin black outline around the inlay.

The Penguin

when I've used turquoise - I crush it up and have a mix from powder and up.

put the turquoise in first - then saturate with CA.

Top Bottom