Ant Pool II, It's Finally Finished.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

Another but shapelier Ant Pool, #II. This is [URL="http://www.penturners.org/forum/f43/i-never-even-considered-possibility-99329/"]the one that leaked[/URL] into my pressure pot.

It is made from three separate pieces of walnut, the bottom, the upper, and the spout. The resin is Alumilite in two colors, blue and violet. The shape is a little different but it grows on you.
biggrin.gif
I have a video of me turning the outside after I got down to the resin, it is rather funny, I would like to show it but not sure what the best way is. I may have to sign up for a YouTube account.
eek.gif

Be sure and tell me what you think of this one.
smile.gif

The bottom is finished but was not in these photos, the usual name, date, species. The finish is WTF, its my first use of it, I think I am in love again, don't tell SWMBO.

IMG_4841_0_2_Detail.jpg IMG_4844_3_5_Detail.jpg IMG_4847_6_8_Detail.jpg IMG_4850_49_1_Detail.jpg IMG_4853_2_4_Detail.jpg IMG_4859_8_60_Detail.jpg

C&C appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

That's a really nice looking vessel. The colors look good together. One question, what is an ant pool?

:biggrin: Just a name. I named it Ant Pool because the wood came from a walnut tree stump that was carved out and sculpted by large black ants. The blue looks like water so I thought it looked like I gave the ants their own swimming pool. Lame huh.:rolleyes: This is the second one from the same stump.

Bowl Slinger

After seeing the pressure pot mess I would have never guessed that you would recover and turn such a spectacular piece. **CHEERS**

neubee

In the video, with all the resin strings flying off and slowly covering you up; you were starting to look like something out of old Stephen King movie. The Ant pool looks very nice; I especially like the base and the neck proportions.

JD Combs Sr

After seeing the pressure pot mess I would have never guessed that you would recover and turn such a spectacular piece. **CHEERS**
Thanks CJ, it surprised me too that there was not a knit line from the second pouring. I could not tell where the two pourings met.

In the video, with all the resin strings flying off and slowly covering you up; you were starting to look like something out of old Stephen King movie. The Ant pool looks very nice; I especially like the base and the neck proportions.
Thanks Steve, I am vacillating between its the greatest shape I have ever turned to why in the world did I do that.:redface:

SDB777

Got half a trailer full of that Black Walnut that's been 'tunneled' by the same kind of ant....almost made me cry when I ran the bandsaw mill through it(the board would have been 18.5" wide).

But at least you've found something to do with them. Wish you were closer, I'd empty my trailer in your vehicle and send you home to play:biggrin:

Scott (come get it) B

Top Bottom