Another video!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Try again!

After four hours, I tried the second time, seems that the first one was not "published".

Try it now, we think it will work.

Dawn got in!

Thanks for letting me know!1

magpens

Yippee ! It works !! Next thing, Ed will be switching to a metal-working lathe !! :biggrin:

He started selling carbide tools yesterday !!

Last edited:

stonepecker

I am not surprised about this.
We all know what an 'open mind' Ed has.

I am just surprised it has taken so long. Now with the new tools and a new camera........what is left? NEW VIDS? Time to update some of the old ones with new knowledge? Maybe even get Dawn to 'turn' something?

If that doesn't work.........maybe she will start giving IT lessons? Some of us (OK... mostly me) still need help when behind the keyboard.

Good work ED......I will be watching for the next video........ Make it soon?

Last edited:

wyone

Ed.... just FYI.. that is EXACTLY why I bought my first carbide tool. I tried using HSS and had no skills sharpening so my success was poor. I read about carbide so I thought I should try it. Immediately I was able to have more success. I used the carbide almost exclusively for a few months and was happy with it, although not able to achieve a really smooth finish without a lot of sanding. again, I read and read and watched videos on skews as was recommended on this site. I finally was able to get a skew to work for me and it eliminated at least 75% of my sanding. That gave me confidence to use the rest of my HSS tools. So I took exactly the path you describe and while I do still use the carbide for some materials, the skew is my favorite tool.

Ed - Thanks for the video. Personally, I think a lot as you note - not gonna give up my HSS tooling but the carbides sure have a welcome spot. When I do a Tru-Stone style blank, carbide is my "go-to" tooling.

Nice video.

KenV

Ed -- There are two groups of carbide tools

The flat top ones and the "cup shaped ones". Would be nice to see a similar one with a Hunter Osprey (round shaft with the carbide set at a 30 degree angle) or the small Hercules ( 3/8 square shaft with cutter set at 30 degrees.

That is my "go to" for chippy and brittle materials.

That is my

stonepecker

Hello Ed and members.
Now that I have seen two vids from Ed with carbide cutters.......I need to ask just what his opinion is now about them. I heard and understand you not giving up your skew and other tools. But in comparing them.......what would you recomend now?

Are these just for those thimes the material is hard? Are these just for the times when you are chipping badly? Is this something that is going to make the hobby something different and new? Is this the future or just a stepping stone to even better things?

I look forward to seeing what your thoughts are now Ed.

Last edited:

vakmere

I use carbide round however I have to accept that the replacement cutters are around $16/$17 a pop so I use them sparingly.

Top Bottom