another use for pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Russell Eaton

Russell Eaton

This is a ornament from maple and holly. There are a total of 7 pieces, and several hours. Thanks for looking, Russell

Attachments

• IMG_2362.jpg
    IMG_2362.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 591
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

Can you enlighten us as to how it goes together so we can steal, ahem,...I mean try it ourselves.:biggrin: Possibly a tutorial?

I have used six pieces but the seventh is eluding me. Where do all the pieces go?

Russell Eaton

I think Cindy nailed it. Actually it is 8 pieces. 1 for the top finial, 2 for the round cap because it is too wide for the body by itself. 4 for the body and one for the bottom finial. Lots of glue, and put your glue joints in the narrow transitions. I will try to post a few in progress pictures on the next one. Hope this helps. Thanks for looking. Russell

bitshird

Russell that ornament is awesome!!! I wish I could slide down to your meeting, My wife has been after me for two years to make ornaments.

IPD_Mrs

Russell that ornament is awesome!!! I wish I could slide down to your meeting, My wife has been after me for two years to make ornaments.

Maybe this is the incentive your wife needs to SEND you to our meeting :rolleyes::biggrin::tongue:

Excellent work Russell - very creative and quite pretty. I'm sure it really looks great on the tree. May I ask how heavy it ends up being?

Linda

Russell Eaton

Hey Linda, the ornament is pretty light. The body has been hollowed out with a forsner bit. I drill the body and then reverse chuck it to turn the body and bottom finial. Then you won't mark up the finish. I complete the lower body before taking it off the lathe. Then bore the top and reverse it to turn it. Hope this helps. Russell

Steve Busey

There you go showing off again, Russell... :wink:

Great job as always. Not sure I understand how you did the hollowing, but maybe we can chat at the meeting.

Top Bottom