Another Snake Skin Question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

I've seen this alluded to, but I haven't seen a definitive cause. Every now and then, I get a snakeskin blank that looks like the attached. It's always at the end, sometimes both ends. I'm assuming it's heat from the skin slipping on the tube? It's definitely well embedded into the PR at the skin, there's no indication of it on the surface of the turned blank.

I've been coating the skin on tube liberally with thin CA, especially the ends, to try to keep the skin from turning on the blank.

Any other tips?

Gary

Attachments

• Snakesking Problem.jpg
    Snakesking Problem.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 267
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

First question i have is: are you gluing the skin to the tube with CA? then, Are you casting the blank in PR or any type of resin? or, Are you just putting thick layers of CA over the skin to build it up to the bushing diameter? The picture you've shared looks to me like "outgassing" of the CA, but still hard to diagnose without knowing more info on the procedure you have used.

Im sorry, i re-read your post and you said it was cast in PR. So now i have to ask, did you seal the ends of the blank with CA after you barrel trimmed it? And then back to question 1 above.

Last edited:

bruce119

First question i have is: are you gluing the skin to the tube with CA? then, Are you casting the blank in PR or any type of resin? or, Are you just putting thick layers of CA over the skin to build it up to the bushing diameter? The picture you've shared looks to me like "outgassing" of the CA, but still hard to diagnose without knowing more info on the procedure you have used.

Im sorry, i re-read your post and you said it was cast in PR. So now i have to ask, did you seal the ends of the blank with CA after you barrel trimmed it? And then back to question 1 above.

I will add along with sealing your ends...Over tightening the bushings such as a catch could cause a squeeze and the result is what you are seeing separation....

Keep your bushings as lose as possible....

Also I am assuming this is after turned...

If you are seeing this before turning rite out of the mold it is an issue with air from somewhere out gassing of CA or leaking in from your plugs...

But it looks to me it separation from a squeeze wile turning...
Good luck

lyonsacc

I was thinking the same thing that Bruce wrote. I ruined a nice feather blank by not having the barrel trimmed/sanded properly.

vtgaryw

Thanks, all. I've been pretty careful about sealing the ends. And the ends of my blanks have been dead square since I made my new jig a few months ago.

I lean towards the over tightening theory, that's not one that immediately popped into my head. It's definitely occurring during the turning.

Thanks,

Gary

seamus7227

I lean towards the over tightening theory, that's not one that immediately popped into my head. It's definitely occurring during the turning.

Thanks,

Gary

thats a good possibility then if you notice only while turning. Also, once you are done casting those, if you hold them up to a light source, if there are any failures(ie: air pouches, voids, etc.) then they will show up under the light, and be very obvious also!

bruce119

Thanks, all. I've been pretty careful about sealing the ends. And the ends of my blanks have been dead square since I made my new jig a few months ago.

Thanks,

Gary

Your defiantly more subject to a squeeze and separation from over tight bushings with something like snake skin. A squeeze will shock and cause the resin to move and a spongy cast such as a skin will just add to it....

Another thing that would give you trouble is pressing in tight parts that cause the blank to expand...same thing movement is bad with castings....

vtgaryw

The glued on skin had cured for 48 hours before I cast it.

So, is CA the best solution for gluing? Has anyone tried epoxy?

Gary

Top Bottom