Attachments

• 000_0172.jpg
    000_0172.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

That was my first thought. "Is that marblewood!"

Nice pen too. I'm really starting to like the look and feel of that style. So much that I even picked up a couple roller balls to do.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Color

For whatever reason I can't get the color right the pen is more brown than it shows. I don't know why but there is a lot more redish color than there should be. It is taken in daylight with no flash and no artificial lighting but still has a lot of red....but I am no photographer.

BULLWINKLE

Pretty sure it is TULIPWOOD from Brazil.... Marblewood has brown streaks.... Tulipwood is more reddish. Also, you can differentiate when turning. Marblewood is fairly soft, whereas Tulipwood is like trying to turn granite.

Last edited:

BULLWINKLE

Tulipwood?

Here is one I turned in tulipwood for comparison....

Attachments

• tulipwood 2.jpg
    tulipwood 2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 89

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
If I had known the pen looked that good I would have kept it. :biggrin:

I got the wood from a friend who's son was having a house built. The contractor messed up and had to rip out the new flooring and she got some of the wood. Enough of the history. Your all wrong. The wood is Koa.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I was gonna ask

If I had known the pen looked that good I would have kept it. :biggrin:

I got the wood from a friend who's son was having a house built. The contractor messed up and had to rip out the new flooring and she got some of the wood. Enough of the history. Your all wrong. The wood is Koa.
You know I thought about asking. Who would be more likely to know than the turner.:tongue:

It's a nice pen even if I can't get the color right in the picture -- I knew I'd seen it and I have some Koa but none turned and finished at the moment to compare to - I did some pens in it but they're gone.

76winger

For whatever reason I can't get the color right the pen is more brown than it shows. I don't know why but there is a lot more redish color than there should be. It is taken in daylight with no flash and no artificial lighting but still has a lot of red....but I am no photographer.

Smitty, I don't know the circumstances of when you took it, but If you took the photo in the morning or evening light, the color would be a little more reddish than mid-day light would be. Just like the sky is reddish during those times, because it's being filtered through a longer stretch of atmosphere than when it's overhead.

Great looking pen for your collection BTW!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Maybe

Smitty, I don't know the circumstances of when you took it, but If you took the photo in the morning or evening light, the color would be a little more reddish than mid-day light would be. Just like the sky is reddish during those times, because it's being filtered through a longer stretch of atmosphere than when it's overhead.

Great looking pen for your collection BTW!
I don't notice it much on the 'plastics' but on the browner woods - they never look brown. It could easily be a camera setting too (I'm not overly smart on camera settings or even the terminology used in the instructions) or maybe it's the ca finishes most folks are using now...

Top Bottom