Another Seam Ripper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dogcatcher

dogcatcher

Tried something different, a closed end seam ripper. An acrylic blank that I had, and a seam ripper from my wife's sewing room. I turned the blank between centers to 5/8" diameter, then sanded and polished the blank while between centers. I did a quick measure and cut the blank, using my collet chuck I then rounded the ends and sanded and polished the ends. Cut a tenon on one of the blanks and threaded it with 7/16" threads. Drilled a hole to CA glue in the seam ripper in it's new handle. Then drilled the top and tapped it. This is the first, it took a little less than 2 hours from start to finish.

2h58c5w.jpg

2ufzn9z.jpg

I believe it takes too much time to make a lot of these for sale, I will make them mostly for special friends of the family. An hour plus in time to make one, then adding in the cost of the blanks and the seam rippers will make them too expensive to sell to many people. I will make up a few to keep in inventory in case a sale comes along and for those special gifts. Only if I see there is big demand would I make up very many of these.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

WOW. Maybe under 2 hours for you.:eek::redface: But not for me. Great job.That is definitely raising the bar on seam rippers.

bitshird

Man that is a beauty, I agree about it taking too much time, I just keep mine simple and they sell, but yours is super. a very nice job indeed.

dogcatcher

Thanks for the comments. I played with making another this morning, I think I can cut the time to less than an hour, if I do several at once. With the cost of the blank and seam ripper, the final product will be kind of expensive.

As to the postable cap, no way will I play with getting each one to fit. Is it possible, yes, worth the effort, no. From the women that I showed this one to, they all said that the postable cap would have been nice, but not willing to pay for the extra time.

witz1976

May not be worth the extra expense, but I have some ladies in my family who would love to get this for a gift. Great idea. I may have experimenting to do!

dogcatcher

May not be worth the extra expense, but I have some ladies in my family who would love to get this for a gift. Great idea. I may have experimenting to do!

For gifts to family and friends, the time is well spent making these. When I get a chance, I will try to do a tutorial with photos. Maybe save someone some of the mistakes I made.

Top Bottom