Another noob question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Adillo303

I have spent over a year working on my CA finish and I and more importantly my customers are happy with it. I expect to spend at least another year improving it yet. It always makes me chuckle when a customer asks how long out takes to make a pen. At first, ten, maybe fifteen minutes. Now maybe an hour if EVERYTHING goes ok. Quality difference in the pens immeasurable and I still have a boatload to learn.

Anyway, I just got knocked off my pins. A potential customer looked at one of my pens and said - "It's a nice pen, but, I can't feel the wood."

Have any of you encountered this? If so, what is your response? Do you make a selection of a more natural finish? If so, what do you use?

Thank you in advance

Andy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hubert H

Yes - takes longer but Walnut oil comes out really nice. About 3 soakings - each drying for 48 hours and buffed between coats.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I do not sell pens, but between my wife and brother I make 50-75/the past few years to give away.

If I pick up a great burled wood pen and feel it with a CA finish (not mine, but a good one :tongue:) and an oil/wax finish I will pick the oil/wax 100% of the time - even knowing that any sheen will not last and will need to be touched up.

BTW - I am ordering some
General Wood Turners Finish - Exotic Blanks. I am still new to turning, but my searching has led me to this product.

Enjoy! :biggrin:

Adillo303

I do 30+ shows a year. This qualifies me as noob with a lot to learn. I have learned this. The "average pen buyer" is looking for the shine durability and gIitz of a CA finish. This is no putdown to them. It is up to me to provide what the customer wants if I expect to make s profit. They are not necessarily "wood people". I perceive that there is a price point to this market segment. Then there are the collectors and "wood people". I "think" that segment may be willing to pay a higher price for a well finished product, made from quality components. I can, of course, be way off base.

I am hoping that someone with more knowledge than me (not hard to do) will provide some guidance.

Thank you
Andy

dtswebb

I use Doctor's Pen Plus and have been very happy with the results. The pens have a good shine but it still looks and feels like wood, not plastic.

I only do one show a year; most of my selling is done through word of mouth.

I may not be the best person to rely on; I don't like the CA finish and how it makes the pen look "plasticy" so anyone I sell a pen to has nothing to compare to.

I have had people come back to purchase additional pens that did come back because they liked the finish and how they can still feel the wood.

rthines

AHHHHHHHH... the critic. This may be shocking to some, but there are people out there you cannot please. For every one critic I have ten customers that like my pens. Have Fun and keep on turning!

I've not encountered this but my first thought was to reply 1 - the finish is there to do several things, high among them is to rotect the wood. Handling wood a lot will impart stains, etc. and 2 - you can certainly do a pen without finish if someone wants this.

Jim Burr

Banned
Ha!! That's never a fun question!! I tell every client the same thing...totally depends on the style, blank, finish...but it's never fast an easy! You can still do CA and feel the wood...just one more thing to work on...like none of us have anything else to do!!

Adillo303

First off, thank you all for you answers. At the moment, I am finishing all my pens with CA. What I am considering is making some pens and using another finish that would allow those interested to "feel" the wood. I know that this finish will wear over time and develop a patina. It that those that want that kind of finish know that and expect it.

I am looking to broaden my customer appeal.

walshjp17

Yes, I have encountered that as well. So now I ask what kind of finish they prefer. For the 'wood feel' finish I use Pens Plus and for the glossy, glassy finish I use CA. I have also used a French polish, but have not perfected it yet.

Top Bottom