Another mystery wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I got this blank from HELLO . Neither he nor I have any idea what kind of wood I have here . But I liked it . It was very easy to turn . Tight grained . Pinkish red to start with . I do know the hardware is Chrome Sierra from Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods .Glad his dad did well in surgery .
This pen was made for a friend who wants his name and his business name engraved on it . If he likes the pen , he wants 17 more . Fortunately , the species of wood doesn't matter to him . I was a little nervous while making this one , but managed OK . Sanded 240 thru 800 one coat thin CA . MM 4000 thru 12000 . Four coats CA/BLO Medium . MM 4000 thru 12000 then Renwax . Did I mention I was nervous ? First big order , I hope he likes it ! Thanks for any comments or suggestions ! [8D]

20085234851_IMG_0089.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hello

hey...I recognize that stuff!
it came from one of Rocklers Christmas grab bags...there are a couple more pieces of it in my box
Very nice work Chuck....great photo too!
now that I see it turned....I kinda' feel like it could be oak....
did I send you the oak from bangor maine?....if I did, you should turn a piece and compare it to this pen and see if I'm right!

Jarheaded

That is a nice looking pen. I haven't tried the chrome Sierra, but after seeing yours, I'm going to have to get some. I agree with Hello, it does look like it could be Oak. Nice job on it.

fernhills

Looks like oak to me,I have tons of oak around never thought it would make a nice pen,but yours looks good,i am going to have to use some oak in the future. Carl

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by Hello

hey...I recognize that stuff!
it came from one of Rocklers Christmas grab bags...there are a couple more pieces of it in my box
Very nice work Chuck....great photo too!
now that I see it turned....I kinda' feel like it could be oak....
did I send you the oak from bangor maine?....if I did, you should turn a piece and compare it to this pen and see if I'm right!
I agree with you guys , it is some kind of Oak . The prop piece is from a white oak I posted awhile back . Thanks for the wood Hello . Yeh , I got my eye on the Bangor oak too , and all the rest . I'm loaded up with blanks , but no kits left . [:eek:)]

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by Jarheaded

That is a nice looking pen. I haven't tried the chrome Sierra, but after seeing yours, I'm going to have to get some. I agree with Hello, it does look like it could be Oak. Nice job on it.
Johnnie , if you want a kit that's easy to assemble . THIS is it ! I bought two of them , 'cause the price was right at the time . Thanks for the compliment ! [8D]

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by Jarheaded

Chuck, I have made many Sierras, but never the chrome version. I like the way it looks with this wood. I have to order more soon and will get some of these also.
Thanks Redfish ! Johnnie , I was in a pinch , but needed to get a nice looking kit that I thought would last awhile . I wouldn't have chosen the chrome otherwise . Yhink I'll order more of them soon ! [8D]

Top Bottom