Another learning experience??? Pic Included

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alxe24

I casted this sponge here on PR. waited a day or so for the PR to cure. While PR cured I painted the tube with Candy Red enamel. Next day cut the blank to size, including the mold that got welded to the PR [:I] drilled the blank and glued the tube with 5 min Epoxy. I made sure I coated the entire tube and even then I got as you can see bad air pokets on the glue up.
What is you advise to prevent this?
Thanks all.
Alex

200732775249_Sponge.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

polarbear1

I'm not sure I understand what your saying, but if i was going to cast that i would paint the tubs first, and cast them inside the PR with the sponge. When you drill the inside of the casting it will turn white on the inside and there is no easy way to polish it before you glue in the tube. To prevent bubbles you also need to cast under some presure.

OKLAHOMAN

Alex, did you also paint the inside of the casting after drilling? When I do my cactus blanks I always paint both tube and inside the casting.This way if any air pockets they will be between the two painted surfaces. Hope this helps.
Originally posted by alxe24

2007327103254_DSCF00071.jpg
<br />This is one I did last night in copper.
<br />I casted this sponge here on PR. waited a day or so for the PR to cure. While PR cured I painted the tube with Candy Red enamel. Next day cut the blank to size, including the mold that got welded to the PR [:I] drilled the blank and glued the tube with 5 min Epoxy. I made sure I coated the entire tube and even then I got as you can see bad air pokets on the glue up.
What is you advise to prevent this?
Thanks all.
Alex

200732775249_Sponge.jpg
<br />

heineda

Alex,

I was at a pen turning gathering Saturday in Urbana, IL, and one of the experience demonstrators said that he uses yellow carpenters glue when gluing tubes. He said as it cures, it foams up, and creates a far superior seal than the CA or epoxy does. I have not tried it myself yet, but it may be worth your effort. I'm going to give it a try tonight. The one drawback, is that once glued, it has to sit for 24 hours for the glue to cure completely. One night of drilling and gluing could provide for several days of turning.

Good Luck,
Dan Heine

aksarben

Are you sure about the yellow glue? I have never heard of yellow glue being used with brass or plastic. Also I have never heard of it foaming, poly glues foam and work with both brass and plastic.

Scott

low_48

I mentioned that I use Gorilla or Titebond brand poly. "Titebond" might be where that idea came from, should have said Franklin Company instead of Titebond, SORRY! I've always been interested in how well any glue sticks to the enamel when you guys do this? Do you guys rough the paint just a little? Seems to me that the paint is too slippery for glue to bond to it?

OKLAHOMAN

Richard,yes I do rough the blank and give the inside of the blank at least 2 coats with a Q-tip. I do not use Gorilla glue but use thick CA. Works fine!
Originally posted by low_48
<br />I mentioned that I use Gorilla or Titebond brand poly. "Titebond" might be where that idea came from, should have said Franklin Company instead of Titebond, SORRY! I've always been interested in how well any glue sticks to the enamel when you guys do this? Do you guys rough the paint just a little? Seems to me that the paint is too slippery for glue to bond to it?

alxe24

I will try peinting the inside to the cast. The question now is if I paint the resin itself why would you paint the tubes as well. The pfoblem for me seems to be rhe air pokets not the color on the tube. I I paint the tub that itself should prevent the air to show and the paint on the tube as well should be blocked. Am I wrong?
Thanks for your replies.
Alex

OKLAHOMAN

Alex, By painting both tube and inside the cast any air pockets will be between the 2 painted surfaces and less of a possiblity that air would show with both painted. Also if you just paint the inside of the cast and not the tube the color is not as intence. By useing this method I have not had any air pockets on approx. 40 cactus pens.

alxe24

Originally posted by OKLAHOMAN
<br />Alex, By painting both tube and inside the cast any air pockets will be between the 2 painted surfaces and less of a possiblity that air would show with both painted. Also if you just paint the inside of the cast and not the tube the color is not as intence. By useing this method I have not had any air pockets on approx. 40 cactus pens.

Say no more That is it.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom