Another bowl.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skye

Skye

This was a practice in thinner walls, the drying process, etc.

It's got some tool marks, I'm learning that sanding on the lathe isnt always easy. If I keep turning irregular ones like these, I'm going to have to start doing some off-lathe sanding.

Anyhow, just a worm holed piece of wood:

1_1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

Nice idea. I use several sanding options on bowls. I want to get a small, airdriven random orbit. but my compresser doesn't have the capacity. Mostly I use a small pad on an extension to my hand drill and set the lathe to a low speed so that I don't get more grooves than swirls. Final stages are by hand.

Marc

My folks have one of those tiny electric hand sanders, I may have to try that.

Skye,
I just bought one of those 90 deg drills off Amazon for under $40 plus the soft sanding pad holders and pads from CSUSA to sand my bowls with... I got tired of the rapped knuckles too, plus the sander does a better job than I could by hand... HF also has the same drills but it meant a trip to Knoxville or Chattanooga to HF and with Amazon the shipping was free.

This is the drill I bought.... works really good and you can also do off lathe sanding much easier.

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-...f=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1235052109&sr=1-26

This is the sanding system I got from CSUSA.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...ick_Change_System___quick_change_system?Args=

I like your design... very artistic. What kind of wood??

Skye

Both those look affordable enough, I'm going to have to do that. No sense on an inferior finish because I'm scared of shattering a knuckle.

I'll take the complement, but it's pretty much a design by accident. No idea what the wood is. I found if on a Right Of Way behind my parent's house. Rather bland wood, it's just been sitting in a pile for a few years so it's got some decent color.

Art Fuldodger

Nice idea. I use several sanding options on bowls. I want to get a small, airdriven random orbit. but my compresser doesn't have the capacity.

Well... you wouldn't be using it 100% of the time, would you?

As an example, my compressor can't keep up with my air chisel running flat-out. But I don't usually have to do much waiting, because the other tasks in between chiseling (like actually prying out the tile and throwing it away) give the compressor time to catch up.

In your case, you'd probably at least take a break for things like changing grits...

Top Bottom