Another bowl from a board

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

This was a 10.5 x 10.5 x 3/4" flat cherry board when I started it yesterday afternoon .
Rings cut out on scroll saw and then turned with a bowl gouge and sanded on the lathe.
Some dark markings in the wood that I do not care for at all but I am sure some will say it gives it character . .lol . . and whoever I give it to probably wont mind . .
We never know what is inside a piece of wood until actually getting in there.

105cherry1.jpg

105cherry2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Another fine job William. Haven't tried bowls this way yrt, but you are inspiring me.

Give 'em a try when you get a chance Bob. They are fun to make and very easy if following the book by Carol Rothman on the subject.

The sides of this one is 3/16 inch and on that size of a bowl the wood was starting to "talk" to me so I didn't dare go any thinner on only a three hour glue up of freshly cut rings. .

bitshird

That's a nice looking bowl William. I like the way the dark places lined up so well, sure looks like it was done from a solid block or log.

JD Combs Sr

Very nice bowl. If I hadn't been told it was a board I don't think I would have known it from the photos.

Question, for this type of bowl(bowl from board) are you limited to a specific angle for the walls or is dependent on the thickness of the board. Seems like to me the thicker the board the steeper you can make the walls and vice versa.

woodgraver

I have a ringmaster jig for my shopsmith that works like a charm to make bowls like that. I can't imagine trying to do what it does by hand, impressive. Beautiful job.

Jim

W.Y.

Very nice bowl. If I hadn't been told it was a board I don't think I would have known it from the photos.

Question, for this type of bowl(bowl from board) are you limited to a specific angle for the walls or is dependent on the thickness of the board. Seems like to me the thicker the board the steeper you can make the walls and vice versa.

Both the thickness of the board and the width of the ring determine the angle to cut the rings. In Carole Rothmans book on the topic she provides charts and formulas to very easily set the angle just by a few measurements with a digital micrometer .

Amazon.com: Wooden Bowls from the Scroll Saw: 28 Useful & Surprisingly Easy-To-Make Projects (Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Book) (9781565234338): Carole Rothman: Books

I have made quite a few from her book and a few of my own design which she also encourages and explains the process.

Of course with the one at the top of this thread being round I was able to do some of the work on the lathe but being a scroll saw oriented book she does all hers without the use of a lathe. .
Here are a few bowls from a board I have done and only the round ones can be turned and sanded on a lathe. All bowls are not round :wink:

WavyBowl.jpg

CedarBowl1.jpg

Laminated2.jpg

Gingham1.jpg

Here is one with a little flashlight placed inside to show how thin the wood was on that one .

thinwallbowl.jpg

Those are so cool William... I'm saving a couple of pretty fancy boards that I have in my shop for when I can try one of the bowls from a board... don't know if I have the nerve to go so thin though... I tend to leave my bowls a little thicker in the walls.. usually between 1/4 and 3/8 inch...

didn't I see somewhere that you did a tutorial on doing these? I'll need to refresh my memories before I give it a go.

W.Y.

Those are so cool William... I'm saving a couple of pretty fancy boards that I have in my shop for when I can try one of the bowls from a board... don't know if I have the nerve to go so thin though... I tend to leave my bowls a little thicker in the walls.. usually between 1/4 and 3/8 inch...

didn't I see somewhere that you did a tutorial on doing these? I'll need to refresh my memories before I give it a go.

I have done tutorials on lots of things but not on these . I have just been following Carole Rothman's book on scroll sawed bowls and recently got her newest book on scroll sawed boxes. Only made one swing lid box so far and just received some barrel hinges for making hinged lid boxes . Those should be fun because I have never used barrel hinges before . The instructions in her book for installing them look very good so it should not be a problem .

So many things to do and so little shop time lately.

I have done tutorials on lots of things but not on these . I have just been following Carole Rothman's book on scroll sawed bowls and recently got her newest book on scroll sawed boxes. Only made one swing lid box so far and just received some barrel hinges for making hinged lid boxes . Those should be fun because I have never used barrel hinges before . The instructions in her book for installing them look very good so it should not be a problem .

So many things to do and so little shop time lately.

Know the feeling...

Top Bottom