Another (and Good) Glue chart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Here is another good glue chart. Some good information on each, but it does not mention CA as a finish, but that is not a problem. If you can download it and increase its size, it becomes more viewable.
adhesives_guide_green_fullsize.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig314159

Excellent chart of comparisons. Thank you for the information and the "download" tip. I have it saved for future reference.

Woodchipper

Thanks and will download. However, I didn't see anything for duck tape. That fixes anything.
Edit: Downloaded and printed it. Will place in my Shop Notes file.
Hank, thanks two bunches!

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I forgot to mention (And SHOULD have) that this was a post on Homemadetools.net. The owner of the site is a member here and I apologize for forgetting his name, but at my age, I get senior moments.

A few of our (IAP) creations have made it into his Homemadetools.net publications. He welcomes new members there too!

sorcerertd

I never would have thought of this with CA: "Added to baking soda, acts as a hard, lightweight filler adhesive"

Also, I never thought about this before, but considering the information in the chart, ink is like a non-reactive emulsion adhesive. It's just not strong enough to hold anything to the paper but itself, right? OK, maybe that's a bit of a stretch.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I never would have thought of this with CA: "Added to baking soda, acts as a hard, lightweight filler adhesive"

Also, I never thought about this before, but considering the information in the chart, ink is like a non-reactive emulsion adhesive. It's just not strong enough to hold anything to the paper but itself, right? OK, maybe that's a bit of a stretch.
That is one of the first things I learned about CA - back in the late 60's. CA wasn't quite as refined as it is today and the CA+baking soda did two things for me - added bulk at balsa joints for my model planes AND it acted as an accelerator with PLENTY of heat! DAMHIKT 🤪

jttheclockman

Man, what a great chart! Especially when you work at a hardware store and get lots of glue questions…

Anyone know where E6000 falls in there?
Welcome to the site Jim. I will give my opinion on this glue because I have used it in the past but will never use again. It is a polyurethane adhesive that dries clear and remain flexible and downright rubbery. Not an adhesive for gluing woods together or anything of that nature. If you read all the hype about it and its tensile strength you would say it a is a great product with tremendous adhering power. My opinion it is a craft makers glue for beading and small craft projects because it does dry quickly and as I said dries clear. I bought into the hype years ago when I was looking for a clear adhesive other than epoxy to adhere the brass cuttings I scrolled out to this cross. I thought it worked well at first glance. But not being able to sell the cross at my craft show I stored it away in a cardboard box as I do all the time and next year went to pull it out to have another try at selling it. Long and behold all the pieces started to fall off with little force. Not good when selling an expensive item. I have since cleaned the parts up and adhered them with good old clear epoxy and have had no problems. So to me the category this falls in is the garbage. But others may have different takes and I wish them good luck.

CopyofIMGP0549.jpg

RoxnDox

Welcome to the site Jim. I will give my opinion on this glue because I have used it in the past but will never use again. It is a polyurethane adhesive that dries clear and remain flexible and downright rubbery. Not an adhesive for gluing woods together or anything of that nature. If you read all the hype about it and its tensile strength you would say it a is a great product with tremendous adhering power. My opinion it is a craft makers glue for beading and small craft projects because it does dry quickly and as I said dries clear. I bought into the hype years ago when I was looking for a clear adhesive other than epoxy to adhere the brass cuttings I scrolled out to this cross. I thought it worked well at first glance. But not being able to sell the cross at my craft show I stored it away in a cardboard box as I do all the time and next year went to pull it out to have another try at selling it. Long and behold all the pieces started to fall off with little force. Not good when selling an expensive item. I have since cleaned the parts up and adhered them with good old clear epoxy and have had no problems. So to me the category this falls in is the garbage. But others may have different takes and I wish them good luck.

View attachment 350999
Beautiful piece! I've used it quite a bit on different projects and had no issues, but I know everyone has different experiences. I had thought about using it to glue tubes into blanks, but I guess I'll stick to epoxy or CA.

Thanks much

jttheclockman

Beautiful piece! I've used it quite a bit on different projects and had no issues, but I know everyone has different experiences. I had thought about using it to glue tubes into blanks, but I guess I'll stick to epoxy or CA.

Thanks much
Highly do not recommend for tubes. Stick with epoxy. Can I asked what you used it on lately?

RoxnDox

Highly do not recommend for tubes. Stick with epoxy. Can I asked what you used it on lately?
Usually just minor repair jobs on household stuff, plus some items at work (I have somehow become the main fixit guy at the Ace I work at…). Thinking about it, most of those have been things where a bit of flexibility is good. I also use a lot of CA and epoxies.

Top Bottom