Anodizing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

Please help with information on anodizing units. I want to coat bullets instead of using shellack or varnish to keep them bright. Also want to play with colors.

Thank you for your consideration,

John

Whoops, make that Powder Coating, not Anodizing

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I've never heard of anodizing copper or brass. Since this is basically an oxidizing process and oxides of copper and brass are black, if it were possible I don't think you would get the same colors as you do with aluminum. I could be wrong - its just an opinion. You would probably be better off powder coating or enameling.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Of course, if you are going to make them different colours, then you can make them out of aluminium instead:wink:

Haynie

I read some where that the harbor freight powder coating system is a good place to start.

Powder coating, and anodizing, are on my things to do list.

MarkD

I picked up a Harbor Freight power coat gun a few weeks ago. I tried a sample and it seemed to work good. Haven't had time to use it since!
Eastwood and Columbia Coatings would also be a couple of good resources.
I picked up some power coat paint from Columbia Coatings. They were very helpful.

Sylvanite

I use an Eastwood Hotcoat gun and Eastwood Low-Temp Clear powder. The low temp powder costs twice as much as the regular high-gloss clear, but I get less discoloration of the copper by curing at a lower temperature. Eastwood sometimes sells the Hotcoat gun for less on eBay than on their website.

I've also tried Duracoat (a firearm finish - similar to a catalyzed lacquer) clear. There is no discoloration, but the materials are more expensive and, in my experience, not as durable as powdercoat.

Regards,
Eric

Jgrden

Wonderful. You guys and gals all came through what I was looking for. Now I can go find the gun. We thought Harbor Tools was the place but they have no West Coast stores. Now I can look for Harbor Freight. Making sure to use Eastwood powder registered as well. So we are on our way.
Thank you, all.
John

BradG

Anodise Aluminium or titanium (titanium uses higher voltages and its a different process)

You can plate all other metals. gold, silver, bronze, brass, copper, cobalt, chrome, nickel, zinc - though d pending on the base metal, its likely you would have to plate a few layers in a sequence.. such as firstly copper plate, then nickel plate, then chrome plate etc

Top Bottom