And YET Another Beall Collet Convert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjackman

I specifically remember Don Ward, aka Virgil, posted a similar experience, as did a few others. I don't remember anyone NOT getting their goods, nor do I remember anyone saying anything other than slow, no communication, but got it.....eventually.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBone

Tangboy. Please understand that I had seen your post and knew there was a large quantity of orders which resulted in a delay. Please don't think I was trying to connect your service with that of 800watt.

TBone

Originally posted by kenwc
<br />I'm getting just a "wee bit" worried about the collets I ordered on ebay from 800Watt. I paid for them on the 22nd. And after two emails to him with no response I have not received them. Has anyone else that has ordered from him experienced this delay and no response to emails?

Ken,

I still have had nada communication from 800watt. However the good news is my collet set arrived today. [:D] I paid on the 20th, so maybe he shipped yours at the same time.[?] I still don't like doing business this way. Hope you see yours this week.

Charles says my Beall should be here by Friday. So I should be set for the weekend.

jtate

Why's a collett-chuck-set-thingy nbetter than a jacobs chuck?

I got the puinch set from Harbor Freight ($15 with maybe 15 or 20 different sized rods) and I've been using them as mandrells cranked down tight in the jaws of a MT2 Jacobs chuck. Works for me now. Am I seting myself up for disaster?

kenwc

Thanks for letting me know Tbone...yea...I have my Beall and hopefully as you said the collets will be along soon. The weather is not that great here for the upcoming weekend but I doub't that'll stop me from trying it.

Jtate....sounds like if it works for you then it works..!! You must be turning one barrel at a time on a rod? Do you bring the tailstock up to it?

TBone

Weather here is supposed to be below freezing for first time Friday night. But the electrician is supposed to be here Saturday afternoon to wire the outlet for the heater I got last Christmas. Yeah he's slow but he's a friend and cheap [:D]

jtate

Here's the punch set I'm using as mandrels when I use the Jacobs chuck.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3577

(I paid more than this for them :( Hm...)

I have turned a piece of Corian to fit the interior dimensions of the tail stock with the little pointy thing removed. The Corian piece is like a little cone. I put on whatever bushings I need with the piece to be turned and the cone at the end, snug up the tail stock on it and turn away.

I am doing one barrel at a time but it's not a problem to slide the pars on and off to do the other barrel. I think the punchs would be long enough to do an SL on one mandrell all at once.

Still, anybody got any reason why the Collett's better than the jacobs chuck?

Julia

The jacobs only has three contact points. The collett has something like eight EDIT IN: I just checked; there are six surfaces. That being said, if the jacobs is running true for you I would stick with it. [:)]

kenwc

Well ok...all is right with the world again. I just received my collets. Long live 800Watt!! As quiet as he may be.

Now...about my idea to use a revolving jacobs chuck in the tailstock. I think I saw someone here doing that? Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Randy_

If I calculate correctly, that is about ten day service?? Not blindingly fast; but not agonizingly slow either. I placed my order two days after you did so, hopefully, I will have a package in the mail shortly. I ordered a Beall chuck from Tangboy at the same time and don't have it yet and no communication from him either!!

bjackman

Julia,
Besides the fact that you have a lot more surface area holding whatever it is you're holding with the collet chuck, you normally have a much more accurate (read less runout) tool with a collet than with a jacobs chuck......for the money. I'm sure you could buy a hyper accurate jacobs chuck, but I would bet you would pay 3-4 times the price of the beall to get that same accuracy, then you still only have limited gripping surfaces. It just ends up to be a very good, clean, accurate way to hold small things. Took me quite a while to buy mine, but am very happy with it, and finding more and more uses for it every week.

Randy,
I agree 10 days shipping isn't bad, I got mine about a year ago and it seems like it was just about double that then.
I guess he/she/they/it at 800watt has learned something in the last year, even if it's not how to send an email.

TBone

Randy, it was actually 12 days after the payment. I paid first thing on the 20th. I ordered by Beall from Woodchips also. But in this thread he has stated that there were so many ordered they ran out and had to order more from Beall and even Beall asked what was going on with so many orders. He has also stated that they were all shipped now and should arrive by weekend.

I don't mind the 12 days shipping from 800watt. It's just that it's the only person I've bought from on Ebay (in a limited history) that did not contact you at least once at the end of auction. I had items arrive this fast when I was using an echeck that took 5-7 days to clear. Time is fine, it's just that he never even contacted me to say I won the auction or when it would ship and completely ignored 3 email requests for a ship date. I guess we give up some things for price.

kenwc

I went and looked at his feedback scores. He has over 40,000 transacions so he's really a bug dog ebay guy. He does leave feedback for others in a rather unusual way. He leaves UPPER case "A"s for feedback. No words...just A's. As for feedback left for him, he has a 97% satisfaction rating on the 41,000 transactions. I left him good feedback because what the heck...I wasn't in that big a hurry. AND...his price can't be beat.

loglugger

Bjackman, almost every drill press made has a Jacobs chuck stuck into it, most are made over seas and for the most part they run pretty true. A lathe is more or less a drill press laying on it’s side. I have a HF Jacobs that runs true whether in the lathe or drill press.
Bob

jtate

My sense is that there's not much 'wobble' at all when I mount the punch/mandrel in the jacobs chuck. I have bent one punch which was a smaller diameter than the regular MT mandrel from Woodcraft. Now. that one DOES wobble but that's my fault. I may buy a new set of punchs just to replace that one. It's just the right size for what I need for some restoration work.

I'll be in the barn today and I'll see if I can measure a little and get a more precise description.

gerryr

For one thing, the inside of the headstock can and will accumulate "gunk" which can easily make the usual MT mandrel to not run true. The Beall collet chuck doesn't rely on the interior of the headstock so it eliminates that problem. The collets have at least 6 gripping surfaces and allow you to hold things up to 3/4" diameter without wrecking the surface. I made a wood finial for a Baron once using a Jacobs chuck and it was a nightmare. With the Beall collet chuck, it's a snap.

TBone

You are correct but just didn't have the energy after work today. Hope to turn some tomorrow night. Saturday will be on and off. Have to move a cabinet for the electrician to put in my subpanel to wire the 220 for my new heater [:D] Don't know where you are, but it's going to be 28 tomorrow night, that'll put a chill in the shop.

Randy_

Just checked my mail box and I had a package from Tangboy also!! Now if 800watt gets his shipment to me in a reasonable time frame, I can crank the thing up and see how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom