An Elegant Piece of Worthless Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

I wanted to try my hand at casting and turning a "worthless wood" blank. I had a couple small pieces of Claro Walnut Burl that were cut offs from making some pen blanks out of some bowl cutoffs that a friend had given me. I pinned them into a mold when I was casting a batch of blue blanks. This is the result after making it into a pen.

The pen is an Elegant Beauty Sierra Click pen. I lengthened the barrel about a 1/4" to show off more of the blank. Had to add an adapter to the refill so that the clicker would still work. Casting material is Alumilite colored with blue Perlex powder. The brass tube was painted white. The finish is 10 coats of CA polished to 12000 MM and with a thin coat of Ren wax for feel.

Have to give Mesquiteman credit for the inspiration for this. He makes a lot of this style of blank.

Comments Welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_4234_3_5_Detail.jpg
    IMG_4234_3_5_Detail.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_4237_6_8_Detail.jpg
    IMG_4237_6_8_Detail.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_4240_39_1_Detail.jpg
    IMG_4240_39_1_Detail.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 163

Robert111

I'm not a big fan of wood-resin blanks, but I really like this pen. I think what I like the most is the added length. I don't know how practical it'll be for those who carry the pen in a shirt pocket, the proportions seem better.

You added an "adapter"????

JD Combs Sr

I really like this pen. The blank and the hardware word well together. Very nice.
Thanks Michael, I appreciate the comment. I thought they worked well together also. It matches my "Ant Pool" vase, not that they would ever be together.:rolleyes:

I'm not a big fan of wood-resin blanks, but I really like this pen. I think what I like the most is the added length. I don't know how practical it'll be for those who carry the pen in a shirt pocket, the proportions seem better.
You added an "adapter"????
Thanks Robert, as for the length, I didn't realize my last Sierra kit was a click when I made the longer blank or I probably would not have made it long but I am glad I did. Now the adapter, some of the Sierra kits come with adapters that look like these. I am not sure what they are for, the only thing I have ever used them for is situations like this.
IMG_4252.jpg

As indicated in the pic I shortened one of them to make the Parker protrude properly which let the clicker work as designed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom