An annoying day...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Well late last night to be precise, which has rolled over to today... but here's the scope:

Our satellite receiver, no names mentioned but provided by the UK's leading provider, decided to act up. They have a habit of doing this and the routine answer is to unplug it, and plug it back in again. Well this time, while plugging it in ,a blue flash lit up the corner of the room and gave out an impressive bang,masked by my shriek of having 240Volts go through me as I was touching the device at the time.

Sounds bad enough right there doesn't it. Well, as the 240 volts shorted with the chassis, and all the HDMI socket is grounded to the chassis, it sent a massive surge to my AV Receiver frying that too in the process.

Really bad then!... well, the AV receiver also surged out from its output as a result of it, and fried my Television too for the final straw. $1,400 worth of kit fried all because of this poorly made satellite receiver. The company is sending on of their Engineers out on Sunday to look at the equipment to confirm what I've told them and il take it from there... though I can see me having to file it with a small claims court for damages.

And before anyone asks... No, we don't have insurance.

Here's some pictures I took after dismantling the unit to see what occurred

This whole area here, is where the mains power board sat. That black square is meant to insulate the bottom of it so it cannot touch the chassis. as you can see, its way too small. that piece of black material should cover that entire side.
attachment.php

Here is the power board. It's pretty obvious which pin was connected to the AC socket of the unit. The one which touched the case when the board flexed by me pushing in the power lead.
attachment.php

and lastly... this shiny spot you can see, is the arc welding mark it left from when it made contact. Looks like there will be lots of reading done in our home for the foreseeable future!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 13178737_849497718490238_3729500800187722665_n.jpg
    13178737_849497718490238_3729500800187722665_n.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 419
  • 13178719_849497685156908_7885293314764023323_n.jpg
    13178719_849497685156908_7885293314764023323_n.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 413
  • 13233046_849497655156911_6898911586405368349_n.jpg
    13233046_849497655156911_6898911586405368349_n.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 424
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That's a bad way to start or end a day... glad you only got the shriek though and not the full shock.

Kinda reminds me of a day back when I was still in the navy and lead radioman on watch... we had a re-perforator (a machine that punches holes in teletype tape) go hinky on the late watch... I pulled the bad one and set a new one in place to push into the contacts... there are 5 contacts that have to line up... I was slightly crooked when I pushed... 300 volts went through the machine, blew every fuse in the place, including the lights, kicked me across the room flat of my back onto the operations desk and I'm still looking for the S.O.* that hit me in the elbows with a baseball bat.

BradG

Indeed Chris

The sounded like a bad day in the office Chuck!

I forgot to mention in my original post that the thing isn't even earthed!!!!

stonepecker

Before you go nuts with boredom...... Why not take the quiet time and leave the house with the bride?
Out for supper, a walk in the park, visit a favorite place again?

My wife and I will go walking through the mall and see all the "things" we can live without. LOL

Sorry to hear about the troubles. Happy that YOU were not Hurt badly.
"Honey? Come out to the shop and I will show you something to do."
Best wishes for a quiet and safe weekend.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The only time I've ever had anything like that was when an electrician converting my house from fuses to circuit breakers connected 220V to a 110V circuit and I plugged a freezer into it.

jttheclockman

Ever see what a power surge from a lightning strike can do??? Not pretty. Surge protector can save you plenty of money if wired right and good quality. Just a tag on note to this topic. :)

BradG

Yep surge protectors for the win. Wouldn't have helped in this insane though as the surge came down the hdmi lead, not the mains.

I buckled under the pressure and picked up a larger 55" this afternoon. Every cloud has a silver lining :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20160513_181450.jpg
    20160513_181450.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 119

pianomanpj

Yep surge protectors for the win. Wouldn't have helped in this insane though as the surge came down the hdmi lead, not the mains.

I buckled under the pressure and picked up a larger 55" this afternoon. Every cloud has a silver lining :rolleyes:

Nice telly! Too bad you mounted it sideways. :tongue:

BradG

Glad you are ok. Of course you know what their "engineer" is going to say about you opening the case.

Couldn't give a monkeys. He won't be getting to take it away with him, seeing as on the sticker it has the markings to denote it's double insulated, when the main board is not shielded from the metal chassis (mandatory for class ii devices) the unit is now evidence in my book. Would never of known if not opened :wink:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I've seen lightning strikes twice but oddly enough though they knocked out some power neither destroyed equipment but it was pre-computer days.
Ever see what a power surge from a lightning strike can do??? Not pretty. Surge protector can save you plenty of money if wired right and good quality. Just a tag on note to this topic. :)

Joey-Nieves

Sorry to here about this bad break. The satellite provider has insurance for these type of problems, put everything back as it was, and go easy on them when they arrive, I worked for 3 of the biggest Cable MSO's in the USA and my experience is that it all starts and ends with the guy that goes to your house. Give tea and biscuits and rub his feet and maybe he'll help you out.

best of luck
Joey

BradG

Kinda regretting buying this new TV. Jen is having a day of watching Michael burton singing. im off to the workshop :tongue:

Il post an update on this escapade tomorrow once the engineer has been

Ed McDonnell

If your company in the UK are anything like the companies in the US, then the "engineer" that is going to show up may very well have been flipping burgers in his previous job and uses those same skills in the current job.

Ed

BradG

If your company in the UK are anything like the companies in the US, then the "engineer" that is going to show up may very well have been flipping burgers in his previous job and uses those same skills in the current job.

Ed

yes, they're not usually too sharp with this company. The last one gave up trying to remove the old dish and left it hanging there by one bolt..... I went up there and finished the job off for him. trained to drill holes in your wall and twist on an F con, but that's about it. Il give this guy the benefit of the doubt until he's been though.

BradG

Soooo.. the "Engineer" came around today. He was under the assumption he was just coming around to install a new satellite receiver and take the old one away. He had no clue that my equipment was damaged. I tried to explain to him what had happened, though he admits I had lost him when I said the 240V shorted on the chassis. :rolleyes:

I'l give them another call tomorrow and emphasize I would like some compensation. any messing around and il just sue them through small claims court. That's quite an easy process here in the UK.

Top Bottom