American Sweet Gum Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
American Sweet Gum bowl around 8" (20 cm) across. Finished with Bush Oil and Polyurethane.

Attachments

• Sweet Gum Bowl 05.jpg
    Sweet Gum Bowl 05.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Maybe North East American Sweet Gum because the SG we have down here does not do that!!!!! Great job. The finish is super.

walshjp17

I have a bunch of sweet gum drying out. Your beautiful bowl makes me want to go out to the shop and make one or two of them round.

Gorgeous.

Bush oil?

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone. American Sweet Gum is one of my favorite woods for larger turnings. I always turn it green then let dry. It is one of the most extreme moving woods that I ever use.

Maybe North East American Sweet Gum because the SG we have down here does not do that!!!!! Great job. The finish is super.

This stuff comes from South Carolina, I've been getting it for years and is always like this. Without a good oil finish, it is very dull looking, a sort of featureless grey / brown. Put some oil on it and it gets wild colors and patterns liike this.

Beautiful bowl. I had never heard of "Bush Oil" before. Can you give a short critique on it?

I have a bunch of sweet gum drying out. Your beautiful bowl makes me want to go out to the shop and make one or two of them round.

Gorgeous.

Bush oil?

Bush Oil is a witches brew based on Boiled Linseed Oil and Urethane. It is very easy to work with. It is the product of furniture maker William Bush. For pieces that I want to show off the wood where the wood is not very light in color, I love the stuff.

For things that I airbrush, or light wood like Holly / Box Elder, I use waterborne lacquer which is water clear.

Top Bottom