Ambrosia maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wright_714

Has anyone made any pens out of ambrosia maple? I was wondering if anyone could offer some finishing advice... These blanks have some tremendous brown/red/purple swirls in them with the light maple tones..... Any advice would be appreciated.

Justin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Any of the maples take a CA finish very well , poly works too but tends to yellow over time , lacqure works as does plexi and endro and.... maple is one of those woods that will take any finish well .

hewunch

I have used CA, it worked great. If you want to rub in some BLO first to make any curl stand out that helps too.

Gary Beasley

Crossgrained ambrosia maple with CA finish
2707-ambrosia-maple-pen-made-scraps-cross-grained-corners-bowl-blank.jpg

toyotaman

I finally figured out the CA only finish over the weekend and it runs circles over the CA/BLO finish I was using.I can get a GLASS like finish on my pens now.It's a little more time consuming but it is well worth it.

wright_714

The grain and color patterns on these blanks I bought is great and I want it to stand out against the light maple color. I will go with the BLO this time and finish with CA. Thanks for the advice and I will post when I finish one......

Top Bottom