amboyna burl slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sparhawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparhawk

I turned my first amboyna. Thought it

200781022643_amb%202.jpg

looked kinda crappy till i polished it. Wow that is pretty wood. One problem though. Two days after i finished it i have come to put it on the site and now i find a hairline crack at the transmission end. Sure it wasnt there the day i finished it. Anybody else ever had one crack after setting up for a few days? Have to see if i can fix it in the next few days. P.S sorry about the big pic but when i try to show a pic from my album it only shows the first few pics i ever uploaded. Wont show my new uploads. Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Welcome to the world of amboyna.....

Slow down your lathe when sanding to the slowest speed. Do not press hard, let the paper do the work. The key is not getting the wood hot. There are many posts on here about amboyna cracking.

Mike

GaryMGg

Nice looking pen. If you haven't disassembled one yet, now's the time.
Take it apart, put the barrels back on the lathe and fix the crack with CA, then
refinish the pen.
Further, I think you're photo size is fine.
It could be even larger and then cropped closer to show even more detail. [;)]

sparhawk

thanks for the advice everyone. as for the slimline, this was a very small amboyna blank that i wasnt sure would have have been big enough around to do a european. maybe after i get a bit better at this i will invest in some higher priced kits and larger blanks.this is only about my 15 pen. Still learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom