Amboyna Burl Chalice- Georgia Fair Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rojo22

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I rough turned this piece of Amboyna Burl almost a year ago, and prayed to the great wood drying god's that it would not check or split. I was rewarded with a rough blank that was fairly straight and true to the original turning. This piece stands about 9 inches tall, and the base is about 4 inches in diameter. The slant on the piece required some considerable attention in order to keep the meat on my knuckles DAMHIKT. This is one of the pieces of wood that I have been saving because it was so beautiful, I didnt want to "mess it up". The eyes and swirling effect on the heartwood around the base of the chalice is insane, and even the sap wood had some incredible figure.

When I got this thing as thin as it is, it made a beautiful sound as the bowl gouge was leaving the "last cut". Amboyna is one of my favorite woods to work with, as the smell and the texture of the wood are some of the best. There are 20 coats of laquer and Ren Wax as the top coat. If you are in the Georgia area, this piece will be entered into the Hollow Form area of the Turning Competition. I would love to hear what you think about the piece (other than "Is he crazy there are at least 20 pen blanks in that thing...what was he thinking...LOL....). I want to thank my turning mentor for helping me "worry" this piece complete!

Attachments

• Amboyna Burl Chalice Small.jpg
    Amboyna Burl Chalice Small.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Amboyna Burl Chalice 2 Small.jpg
    Amboyna Burl Chalice 2 Small.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 207
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgibb42

I think I like this better than the table. A very simple and classy form, and a beautiful piece of wood as well. I hope I'm able to attend the chapter meeting at Woodcraft on the 19th just so I can meet some folks like you and pick up some tips about turning pens as well as stunning pieces such as this.

bitshird

Simply beautiful, wonderful lines, the proportioning might be out of the Golden Mean of Fibonacci's rule but He's been dead a long time! I love it.

Crashmph

What where you thinking!!! :eek::eek::eek:
You could have gotten like 20 pen blanks out of that!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

But seriously, that is quite impressive and a simply stunning piece.
Job very well done there!!!

glycerine

OOooo, I like it. What would be really cool is if you could have cast acrylic up to the top to finish it off so that you have a clear ring above the unfinished edge, making it whole so that you could actually drink out of it. But it's very nice looking!

scoutharps

Let's see, I'm going to drive down and claim the table to keep it safe for you...I think I can find room for the goblet as well. Both peices are incredible!

Top Bottom