Amboyna and Ebonite Button Filler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RichF

RichF

This was my entry into the Advanced Beautiful Pen contest.

The pen uses a 12 mm triple start, a #6 Bock nib and 66 mm pressure bar. Full length ebonite supports for the cap, body, and button for strength.

Rich

Attachments

• DSC03643.JPG
    DSC03643.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC03639.jpg
    DSC03639.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC03632.JPG
    DSC03632.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC03634.JPG
    DSC03634.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC03747.JPG
    DSC03747.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 149
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yaroslaw

Rich, it's a beauty. My favorite pen from all contest pens.

You used ebonite, as one would normally use tubes in kit pens? I mean, wood is glued to ebonite?
As I look at cap, from photo it looks like lowest wood band is unsupported and very thin. As you say it's supported, it looks then even more thin.

Again, it's an artwork. I wish I had a pen like that!

When thinking about making a pen for the contest, your design was the first one that I wanted to make. Brooks and I discussed this and I of course started out with the pen only to make the mistake that you did not, Ebonite on the inside. I went with another design and material...I am so glad I did, as I would have embarresed myself with a pen that would have looked like the scraps left over on the floor comapred to yours. I had your pen in 2nd place (sorry but there was one other that just made me know I am not worthy) but it was darn close. Your pen is a masterpiece!

RichF

Yaroslaw,

You are correct that I essentially used ebonite to make to make my own "kit" for the wood. The end of the cap is supported, but with the wood "wrapping around" of very thin proportions on very thin ebonite. The amboyna that I used was stabliized. The combination is provides strength on par with any hard plastics that I have used.

The added bonus of the ebonite is the weight is significantly lower than a component pen. The pen comes in at 23 g capped and 14 g uncapped.

Last edited:

RichF

Thanks Jason,

I consider the ebonite to be essential for two reasons. First is to provide the strength needed for pen to last. The second reason is to provide an barrier between the wood and the ink if you are making a fountain pen. You don't want to drop your pen and have ink wicking through the wood under the finish.

Triple Crown

Beautiful!! Thank you so much for posting more about your awesome entry! So so pretty!!! I'm absolutely amazed at the artistry and perfection in craftsmanship!

Greg

SDB777

This one has everything but he kitchen sink on it!! The attention to details on the tinyest pieces are fantastic!!!!

Love the timber! Love the finish!!

Scott (sure is purty) B

InvisibleMan

Beautiful pen, Rich! I've had a few premium sticks of Amboyna Burl stashed away for this same sort of pen, but haven't gotten to it yet. I've been waiting to perfect a design worthy of the timber. Yours would definitely fit the bill. Thanks for showing.

Top Bottom