Amalgam mutt finish (not turned but cut)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cmwoodworks

I posted this in another thread then I noticed how old that thread was, sorry. My question basically is, can heat cause pitting of amalgam? Here is our basic process which I posted in the old thread:

"Ok I have a question, probably should be posted in finishing but your talking about the very thing Im looking for answers for.

Im new at working with amalgam BUT we don't turn it. Made quite a few pieces varying colors with very few problems. last piece, it seemed we got a tiny piece that "fell" out right along the color. Tried filling with ca and it kept getting deeper. finally found a solution that worked and got it filled with a beautiful mirror finish.

Next piece, cut a slice of the blank on the band saw, cut pattern out on the scroll saw, sanded front and back on disk sander just to level it, then started hand sanding with 240 then 400 grit and is full of pits or bubbles.
My question is, could the initial sanding on the disk or belt sander, be too hot for amalgam? I have noticed it is way more sensitive to heat than acrylic. So far, it only seemed to have happened with a lava explosion (busy colors). Just curious, Im not about to give up on this yet because I am in love with the finished colors and completely bored with regular acrylic lol.
Thanks in advance for any advice on this."
Julie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

I had no idea what you were talking about so did a search for alamgam and came up with alloy of mercury (commonly consists of mercury (50%), silver (~22-32%), tin (~14%), copper (~8%), and other trace metals). Still no clue! Are you asking about dental filling material?

Might help if posted a picture of what you are talking about.

Dan Masshardt

Im asking about amalgam mutt turning blanks. as found at Beartoothwoods Bear Tooth Woods - Amalgam-Mutt Large Blanks and manufactured in Texas

It's just alumilite. Nothing unusual. This is not a material called amalgam.

When you're working with these blanks, you need to be prepared for voids etc. It's just the nature if the beast.

I doubt heat is the cause of your probs but it's possible.

Last edited:

KenV

Julie -- Took a couple reads but I think you are using some of Eugene's cast alumilite and something else mixed blanks.

Depending on what else is mixed and cast - the adhesion of the resin to the "other" can be varied.

Heat can soften the resin and make the adhesion less secure. Pieces can pop out, or break free as the heat increases.

Suggest you lighten up with the sanding and make sure the abrasive is doing the work. At the first sign of difficulty, fresh sandpaper and a lighter touch.

I wet sand at higher grits to assure avoidance of heat. Mineral spirits or denatured alcohol work with fillers that are sensitive to water.

Wildman

Julie, had I gone to your web site would have sat back and waited for someone else's response would have solved my case of confusion. Had no problem searching for and finding amalgam mutt turning blanks today. Did find your web site today during that search pretty impressed with art & craftsmanship displayed!

Thanks for posting learned a lot!

cmwoodworks

Thanks guys, I just am now getting back on the forum, been kinda crazy at my house with moving and then some. Still working with Amalgam, love it love it.

Top Bottom