Aluminum Oxide Sharpening Wheel Wanted??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

I would like to get an AO wheel for my sharpener; but would like to find an economical alternative to the $105 Norton wheel that CSUSA sells. Any suggestions?

Also, I notice they call the Norton SG wheel a ceramic wheel rather than an AO wheel. Are AO and ceramic wheels really different materials and if so is the Norton wheel worth the extra money??

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Randy, AO (aluminum oxide) and SG (ceramic-grain synthetic) are two different wheels. Without all the tech. details, SG is a harder, longer lasting wheel compared to AO. Is it worth the extra cost for sharpening wood lathe tools, IMHO no. If I was grinding cnc tooling, yes. Will you notice any difference in a home shop, doubtfull. Save your money and go with AO, it will do a fine job on tool steels. Again, IMHO. Hope this helps.

Freethinker

...plus, the same website (HighlandWoodworking) has the Norton 3X ceramic grinding wheels for 50 bucks.

Randy_

Dan: Those look good; but I would like a 120 grit stone if possible. Even if I were willing to pay extra for the ceranic wheel, they don't seem to come any finer that 80 grit which is pretty coarse to my way of thinking.

Randy_

Thanks to everyone for the education on sharpening wheels.

Wildman: The people you linked to have exactly what I was looking for and only $13......Norton 6x1x1 AO wheel, 150 grit!! I hope their shipping is as reasonable as their prices!!

Wildman

Prices have gone up since my last purchase of two 6"x ¾" 60 grit wheels. Paid $29.89 for both including shipping. Shipping then was $5.95. Lady did say for additional $2.00 would ship faster. Said no, normal shipping okay!

Think you will pay $6.95 for one, wheel or $7.95 for two wheels, normal 1 to 5 days delivery today. So buying one wheel should only run about $20.92 with shipping. Let us know how you make out.

Same order from other places at that time and now would run me $50.00 or more, not including shipping.

Randy_

.....Think you will pay $6.95 for one, wheel or $7.95 for two wheels, normal 1 to 5 days delivery today. So buying one wheel should only run about $20.92 with shipping. Let us know how you make out.....

I have a Northern Tool store pretty close to home. They sell some good stuff and some junk. I'm going to check with them first as I prefer to buy local when that is an option; but will place an order with the Sharpening Supplies folks if NT doesn't have what I need. The fact that they are supporting IAP is certainly a plus!!

Thanks again.

Top Bottom