Aluminum laminate (sort of)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arlie

Tonight, while doing some cleaning, I came across and old bent crossbow bolt. "I wonder if the inside diameter of this thing will match the outside diameter of a pen tube?" thought I. I proceeded to cut the arrow in two with a tubing cutter. Nope, it wouldn't fit; ID on the arrow shaft was too big. "Aha!...what about the slimline blank you were turning that chipped out in the center?" Nope. The outside diameter of the slimline was larger than the inside diameter of the arrow shaft. To speed the story along, the chipped blank was mounted back onto the mandrell and sanded to fit inside the arrow shaft. After CA glue-up and trimming, the painted finish was sanded off, and the aluminum was polished down to 0000 steel wool, then waxed. When assembled with a black enameled hardware kit from CSUSA, the dang thing looks pretty good! Now for the questions: will the CA really stick to the aluminum outer layer? Will the wood layer expand/contract and break the bond, leading to failure? What do ya'll think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Arlie

Thanks for the encouragement. I’ll try to make pictures, but have to borrow a digital camera. Isn't it funny how all af a sudden everything you see has to be analyzed for penmaking possibilities?

Scott

Hi Ron,

I think you'll find that the glue bond will do just fine! And yes, we NEED to see pictures of this pen! [:D]

Scott.

jpick22

Arlie - why would you think anyone else would know, since no-one has ever tried the particular combination you have assembled or the exact materials you have tried.

Wait a few months and let us all know.

Believe it or not, many of us have experimented just as you have - with material combinations totally unknown to us. It's called "learning" - and should be more common than it has come to be -much easier to ask a bunch of questions and likewise, get a bunch of answers from folks who haven't tried it.

Also, we are indeed a group that needs to see what new pens others have tried - whether they stay together over a long span of time - or fall apart the next week.

Bottom line is "...what we "think" about CA holding on to AL or whether the wood will or won't expand or shrink..." is really guesswork. Only time will tell and only you will really know the answer. Consider yourself an experimenter (pretty rare these days) and do what you want to try. That (and only that) will really pay off in your desire to design and build unusual pens.

Jay

Originally posted by Arlie
<br />Tonight, while doing some cleaning, I came across and old bent crossbow bolt. "I wonder if the inside diameter of this thing will match the outside diameter of a pen tube?" thought I. I proceeded to cut the arrow in two with a tubing cutter. Nope, it wouldn't fit; ID on the arrow shaft was too big. "Aha!...what about the slimline blank you were turning that chipped out in the center?" Nope. The outside diameter of the slimline was larger than the inside diameter of the arrow shaft. To speed the story along, the chipped blank was mounted back onto the mandrell and sanded to fit inside the arrow shaft. After CA glue-up and trimming, the painted finish was sanded off, and the aluminum was polished down to 0000 steel wool, then waxed. When assembled with a black enameled hardware kit from CSUSA, the dang thing looks pretty good! Now for the questions: will the CA really stick to the aluminum outer layer? Will the wood layer expand/contract and break the bond, leading to failure? What do ya'll think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom