Alumilite question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

Is there a way to keep alumilite from gelling after a few days after you open it? (I put this here because of your videos)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

I am guessing you are talking about the B Side. It is likely gelling because it is cold in the shop. My experience has been that this will give a little more pot life but does not affect the resin at all. If you want it to be smooth pouring you can take it inside at night where it will be warmer.

Brooks803

My B side went bad FAST! It was worse being kept out in the shop in warmer conditions. The solution that worked best for me was to keep it in my laundry room which stays around 70. It still got a bit thick, but no nearly as bad as when kept in the shop. This is only with Alumilite clear to. I have white and black that's about a year old and they're both the same as the day I got them.

Warm water baths do help, but also hinder the shelf life so if you don't want to ruin a whole jug do the water baths in batches. Just be careful bc you know what happens with H2O and Alumilite!

Justturnin

Wow, I have never had an issue w/ the B Side in warm weather. I buy the 10 gallon kits and keep the big containers inside but keep a gallon at a time in the shop. It can sit there for a week or two before being used up and is always thin in the summer. It hits about 115-120* in my shop in the dead of summer and the B side pours like water on those days.

Brooks803

I'd like to buy a 10gal kit but I'm afraid of it going bad on me. Last time I bought a 2gal kit the B side was almost solid within 2 weeks of opening it. I had to toss the last bit of it out bc I couldn't get it to mix at all. Tried the water bath but I still had chunks of unmixed resin inside the blanks.

Is it humid where you are Chris? That's the only thing I could think of as a cause. We didn't have a hot summer at all here. Never got above 100, even in my shop.

Justturnin

I'd like to buy a 10gal kit but I'm afraid of it going bad on me. Last time I bought a 2gal kit the B side was almost solid within 2 weeks of opening it. I had to toss the last bit of it out bc I couldn't get it to mix at all. Tried the water bath but I still had chunks of unmixed resin inside the blanks.

Is it humid where you are Chris? That's the only thing I could think of as a cause. We didn't have a hot summer at all here. Never got above 100, even in my shop.

Very Humid. 99% RH is not uncommon. I am only about 30 miles from the Gulf. I buy the preservative spray (Bloxagen?) from Alumilite for the A side to slow the absorption of ambient moisture and slow the "browning" down.

edicehouse

Is it possible I just got an old batch that one time (lasted less than a week). The next batch I got was done in 4 days.

Top Bottom