Alumilite Microballoons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

healeydays

Folks,

Has anyone tried using the Alumilite's Microballoons in their casts? I'd love to hear pros and cons.

Mike B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Why would you want to?

Microballoons are used when you want to reduce the density of a casting. For example you'd add them to fiberglass resin when doing repairs to the core of a lightweight boat, or use mix them (instead of sand) with cement when making a concrete boat hull.

In a pen blank, they would be like thousands of tiny bubbles - something we normally try to avoid.

Regards,
Eric

healeydays

I came across an artist in VT this weekend Barre Pinske who does Twig and Resin bowls and other art and him and I were talking and he suggested I try it. Also, if you go out to Alumilite's site they are now selling it and I haven't seen many boats made with their stuff.

If you don't try new things you'll wakeup one day and realize you're still making buggy whips...

One of his bowls.

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/illanajoffrey/images2/colortwigbowl1.jpg

BSea

If you don't try new things you'll wakeup one day and realize you're still making buggy whips...
I agree 100%. What's the harm in trying? Just because we don't like bubbles in our cast doesn't mean with the right medium & creativity, the result couldn't be the next winner of the "Beautiful Pen" contest.

I seem to remember someone making a pen from a stainless bolt. Several people thought it was photoshopped, but it was the real thing, and very cool.

Last edited:

PTsideshow

As been said they are used in some forms of casting and also as a filler with CA in the wood model building, you fill the void and then add the CA and they sand /or fill again. Just one of the many things that can be used in the PR or other epoxy resins, to lessen the amount used or lighten the piece.

As long as you understand that the finished surface will need extra work to get a smooth shinny surface.

Since the term micro balloons, implies that they have hollow spaces inside of the individual beads.
:clown:

Justturnin

I have looked at these and thought about using them in Resin Bottle Stopper blanks to lighten them. I haven't, but I sure thought about it :) If you use them let us know how it goes. I will be placing another order from Alumilite in a couple of months, I may get some just to tinker with.

ElMostro

If you want micro balloons in your cast just mix the alumilite really fast pour it in the mold and let it set without using pressure... you'll get a lot of micro-balloons and maybe some macros too.
Eugene.

healeydays

I really was hoping one of you guys were the guinea pig on this one. I will try them with one of the twig bowls I'm gonna try, but with pens, I'll hold off at this time.

Top Bottom