Alumilite issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I am new to alumilite and have watched some videos. Mixed up some water clear, added alumilite dye, poured into mold, pressured to 45-50 psi, waited 20 minutes, took out of pressure pot, it looked good but was tacky. A like while later it was oozing out of the mold. What's up with that?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

20mins isn't enough time. I can't remember what the demold time for water clear is, but I want to say it's around 1.5 - 2 hours. It's on alumilites website.+

EDIT: Checked their website. Water Clear has a demold time of 2-3 hours.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
High humidity will affect the alumilite. I have had the top part that was exposed to air froth just from humidity.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
You did not get it mixed properly. Either you were off on your weights or you did not stir it enough. Make sure you are measuring equal parts by weight and that you are stirring until it is completely clear.

Cwalker935

You did not get it mixed properly. Either you were off on your weights or you did not stir it enough. Make sure you are measuring equal parts by weight and that you are stirring until it is completely clear.

I was very careful to get equal weights. Stirring is a possibility since I added the dye before mixing.

Cwalker935

Thanks for the feedback, I was able to get a good cast after stirring before adding the dye and keeping it under pressure longer.

Top Bottom