Alumilite dye bottles??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

I am just starting out with casting, so experience is limited.

I was mixing up a cast this morning. When I went to add the dye from my new bottle of blue, the tip was plugged solid. Good thing I had a second bottle. Ahhh its plugged to. Did I mention the alumilite was already mixed. I ended up opening the bottle and trying to pour 45 drops. Turned out to be two good dolops.

Afterwards i set about cleaning the tips. Took a lot of hot water and poking with a toothpick. I finally got them clean, but it takes a lot of squeeze force to get a drop out.

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?
Are you supposed to cut a piece off of the tip, because it appears to already have a hole. I used a tiny drill through the end while cleaning.

If this is normal, that the dye will dry and plug the end, is there an easier way to clean it.

The molds are under pressure now, I'll post pics when done.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The tips made so there is no through hole to prevent leaking. You have to either cut the tip or pierce it somehow. Personally, I just cut it

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
And no, Alumilite dyes will never dry or cure by themselves. Your hot water and toothpick simply pierced the polyethylene seal in the cap and is probably a small hole. Cut the tip off and it will work better. If it is really hard to squeeze out and you apply plenty of pressure, you may end up blowing out the dropper part and getting dye all over the place! It is simply snaped into the top of the bottle. Some of the colors are thicker than others so if it is still hard to get drops after cutting the tip, you can add a tiny bit of odorless mineral spirits to thin the dye a little.

Last edited:

darrin1200

And no, Alumilite dyes will never dry or cure by themselves. Your hot water and toothpick simply pierced the polyethylene seal in the cap and is probably a small hole. Cut the tip off and it will work better. If it is really hard to squeeze out and you apply plenty of pressure, you may end up blowing out the dropper part and getting dye all over the place! It is simply snaped into the top of the bottle. Some of the colors are thicker than others so if it is still hard to get drops after cutting the tip, you can add a tiny bit of odorless mineral spirits to thin the dye a little.

Thanks Curtis.

I saw the hole in the tip and assumed it went all the way through. After 26 years in the army, you would think I would remember about ASS U ME.

I'll cut the tips off for next time.

Top Bottom